Europa Universalis IV getting another expansion, Rule Britannia

Yeah, the way the game works in the late game is pretty incredible. My ipad doesn’t get warm, the battery doesn’t drain ridiculously fast, and the time between turns is relatively short. I have the graphics turned up to retina as well. I’d say the iOS version is pretty incredible and might be better optimized than the Windows version (I only say this because the fan on my PC goes crazy when playing Civ VI, but I do have the graphics cranked way up so it’s not really a good comparison).

In the Steam Mac Discussion Board, Aspyr said yesterday that the x-pac won’t be ready for Mac until End of March. I cannot express how disappointed I am with Aspyr.

I’m pretty sure they’re doing the best they can to get things ported over correctly, within a budget. They’re sacrificing time to do it, but you generally can’t have all 3 (good, fast, within budget). Considering it took them 4 months (I don’t actually know the time frame for the PC Patch, the Mac patch hit 11JAN so I’m guessing) to get the Fall patch out for Mac, a month later is progress, and tells me they have a solid framework for porting. Considering their Civ4 and Civ5 work, Introversion work, and other properties I’m likely forgetting about, this is pretty excellent.

Is anyone else doing port work for Mac that is more than a WINE patch and maybe an optimization tweak? (Here’s lookin’ at you GOG). Most of those run like complete crap, causing people to proudly and loudly exclaim “This port work is shit!” and “They should be boycotted!” but you have the port pretty quickly. Hell, even some “native” Steam Mac games run like complete garbage on my brand new iMac, and they’re supposed to be native (which means Unity and Unity’s compat layer for C# and Mono barf).

Obviously, I’m hoping that it comes to iOS just as quickly, but I’m primarily an iOS gamer. Judging by the excellent work they’ve done with Civ6 on the iPad, I’m hopeful for the future.

Now I’m going to go have a shot and get off the soapbox.

3 Likes