Eternal Card Game

Etetnal Card Game from Dire Wolf Digital just moved from closed beta to open beta. Accounts have been reset and they said it was the last whipe. So now is a good time to start playing this game. I was a part of the closed beta and was able to play it on my ipad3. Not sure if it is available for everyone on ipads, but from now on it is also available on pc (steam)

1 Like

I dont think its showing for ipad in NZ yet, as its not under developer apps for dire wolf digital.

My memory says that once I had registered and installed the closed beta on Steam there was an option at https://www.eternalcardgame.com to apply for the iOS version. It could be that for the open beta …

I’m initially very drawn into this. The sheer volume of new possible card combos usually does that to me for a well designed CCG. Feels less RNG than Hearthstone has become and since you can’t pick what you attack (without Killer, and even then only once) it leans more towards the classic M:TG.

Still enjoying this game (android beta on phone)
Besides open beta on steam, it is also available on iOS in Canada and Australia now.

http://www.direwolfdigital.com/eternal-comes-to-regional-ios/

Besides that, they also released their first (single player) expansion this week in which you can collect 16 new cards.

http://www.direwolfdigital.com/eternal-jekks-bounty/

1 Like

Holy guacamole … great game. The sub-title might as well be: “This is what Hearthstone wishes it was.”

I’m having a blast, and have yet to spend any coin. Although I will; once I finish the campaign, I’ll do something to support the developers.

Still playing too. Love some of the unique mechanics this has (fate, echo, destiny, fast spells) that really set it apart from Blizzard’s dying monolith. Doesn’t depend nearly as much on RNG and the vastly different types of decks I see (at least on my level) of the ladder.

Grinding my way to the 20,000 coins needed to buy the Single Player expansion currently. Likely will have it by tomorrow if I manage to mostly win.

If @TheDukester endorses a game, you know it’s good :smile:

Any word on when it’ll be released for iOS in the US?

Just the different modes alone are worth the price of admission so far.

I count five different modes – campaign, ladder, draft, forge, and gauntlet. Amazing.

My only wish is that it was actually out on iOS. I like Steam, for the most part, but I’ve never really been a fan of playing games on a computer.

How is it different than Hearthstone? From the screen shots, it looks like just a clone, so I never paid it any attention.

Nevermind, just read up on it. It’s more MTG than Hearthstone. They have versions of land/power and you get to chose blockers.

Has anyone who plays this tried Hex? A better question is, why this over Hex if you are looking for a FTP MTG clone?

Happy to report that it works great on iOS {smug face}. I got it as part of the pre-Steam beta … the app itself has never glitched. Cross-platform smoothness.

Honestly, I had never heard of Hex until now. I’d only heard of Eternal as Direwolf also made the Elder Scrolls CCG and a tabletop deckbuilding game I quite like called Clank!

I had Kickstarted Hex. It’s been around a while, and it is an MTG type game, but you can modify cards with equipment permanently as part of the deck. It’s kind of cool. It’s worth trying it since it’s free and has a couple cool PvE options also.

1 Like

I’ll give it a look if I have some free time this weekend. Eternal’s convenient for me on Android as I can play it on my phone.

There is a vast middle ground between MtG and Hearthstone, and Eternal does the best job of filling it out of all the other card-battlers I’ve tried.

It certainly has echoes of both of those other games, but it’s also trying to make its own way with some unique aspects.

And I’ll say again: five game modes, right out of the box. Amazing. And they’re not “in beta” or “coming soon” or whatever – they all work, and they’re all different.

And a lot of people praise it for the rate in which you can earn ingame gold (to spend on packs / entry fee for 2 modes or the new single player expansion) and chests with cards.

Another good thing is the release of new cards at a decent speed. Between expansions they tend to release promo cards that can easily be earned by first victory (pvp) to shake up the meta a bit.

I also played ES:L a bit on the ipad. At first I liked that one over Eternal. It felt a little bit more strategic, mainly because of the 2 lanes, but after a bit more time had been put into Eternal that isnt true for me anymore. And as far as I understand Eternal will be their “main” game.
Matches in Eternal are a bit more faster/shorter.
And the most important reason for me to choose Eternal over ES:L is the fact I can play it on my android phone insteas of the iPad only.
I want to play my card games at least on iPad/phone and not pc only. Thats the reason i havent touched Faeria and Shardbound that often in the (recent) past.

Yes. Dire Wolf Digital are (only) developing (as in coding) ES:L for Bethesda (with some inevitable design input) whereas Eternal is wholly their thing.

I like Faeria, but agree that I would be playing much more if if it was on mobile. It’s obvious (to me - I had not come across Shardbound) competitor in the “CCG with a board” space Duelyst seems to be getting much more buzz/publicity but so far I prefer Faeria.

Duelist is testing its game on tablets if i recall correctly now. But I tried it on pc once and didnt like the visuals. I believe Faeria is also on tablets (iOS), but only in Belgium since last week.
If Faeria is available on ipad in my country I sure play some more. Backed their kickstarter a long long time ago and they keep on fighting to develop their game and get the needed momentum to blast off.

But for the time being, Eternal fixes my CCG needs

Damn you all!

Finished the initial campaign, had a nice Gauntlet and got through 6 rounds and won a free Forge entry and working on that now…

like I had time to play something else…

1 Like

Forge is how they suck you in … it’s pretty awesome. And you keep the cards!