Dream Quest help

(not sure what category to use for this since it’s an old game. Maybe we could add an “Games Discussion” category for those older games?)

Ok, you guys have turned me on to the beauty of Dream Quest, but I have hit a wall.

I’m having a lot of trouble getting past the 2nd level. Most of the time, I can get the 1st level with no real problems (though I do occasionally get killed).

It’s starting to get a bit frustrating.

Any pointers? I’ve tried thinning my deck, varying the damage I do so that I’m ok if I run up against something that’s immune to things.

But no real luck.

Any help?

2 Likes

Hard to say, without knowing what you have unlocked yet. Some of those cards you get through achievements (or spending achievement points; such a glorious system, innit?) can be a big deal if you get them.

If you have not already, you may want to switch over to Velociraptor difficulty, to increase points earned.

1 Like

The different classes play very differently. Peter Whalen wrote a nice intro guide for PT a few years back that’s still available:

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/winning-ugly-still-winning-peter-whalens-guide-dream-quest/

You’re going to die a lot, so don’t be discouraged. As you’ve probably seen, some of the best stuff in the game can’t be unlocked without dying a ton of times. I started a new profile a few days ago, and I think I’ve only gotten past the second level once in over thirty plays.

One big key to success—don’t just attack monsters as you encounter them. Explore a bit, go after higher-level monsters when you’ve got most of your health, and save the weaker ones for when you’re damaged and can’t fully heal. Have a plan for how to get enough experience to level up and fully heal. If you waste all the level 4 monsters on the second floor immediately, you’re probably screwed.

3 Likes

What classes are you playing? Thinning your deck is the most powerful ability, and if you find a monastery on level 1 you should use it 3 times, removing either Attack 1 or Mana 1 depending on the class. Both are pretty useless most of the time. Be very particular about what cards you are adding to your deck. For the Thief, focus on stuff like actions that give actions and cards, and ignore pretty much all spells and mana card. I’d say the best unlocks are the new abilities you can get for leveling, as the initial leveling skills are pretty mediocre.

Remember, that sometimes you’ll end up with the wrong sets of monsters or bosses, and clearing the second or third level just won’t happen. If you are the thief and your run up against someone that damages you for each card you play, you just might not have enough life to get through it. Such is Dream Quest!

4 Likes

I was just doing Random because I wanted to try all of them (I’ve unlocked the Necromancer, Monk, and Samurai).

But lately I’ve been concentrating on the Thief because he seems to get the closest for me.

I’ve been trying to do what the designer suggests in that Pocket Tactics post, trying to either get a Backstab deck going or a Strike deck, but I always seem to run up against a monster that I can’t defeat.

I’ll still keep at it, though.

One thing, about the 2nd level bonus: When I’m a thief, I take the “Gain 1 Action” bonus. Is there one of the other bonuses that might work better? Polymorph, maybe?

When I’m a thief, I definitely don’t take any Mana or Spell cards.

1 Like

Thief seems like the easiest, but usually you’ll run in to something to de-rail him. I think the Wizard is actually the easiest of the starting classes to get a first clear with. I typically take the +1 action passive until the Thief passive unlocks with several action cards. Focus on card draw with one or two finishers though. Circle over performs, and Dodge works overtime if you can cycle the deck every turn.

I can’t remember which of the classes you’ve unlocked is the easiest, but I feel like Necromancer is pretty strong, but it can take a lot longer when you try to kill everything with Siphon Soul…

1 Like

Necromancer is kinda annoying because of the need to Soul Siphon everyone early on. Monk is a good one for the piercing and deletion, if you can beef up enough with health and healing. As for talents, Heal is a good one to start, as is Portent for mages so you know what spells to stick with. At the end of the first floor, get an equipment slot most of the time unless you already have at least one or two. Especially important if the second floor boss is the Hydra (which you will know if you have Portent, of course). If you have a slot and the Cloak of Flame or whatever it is called that does two fire damage for every attacking card the enemy plays, the Hydra will literally kill itself.

If available, get a Deck of Wonder. One of my all-time favorite equipments, right up there with the Cloak of Flame and the item that protects you from all damage on your turn. Deck of Wonder gives a random card every turn, allowing you access to some powerful stuff. Also good for dumping if necessary.

Polymorph is good, especially when you do make it to the third floor. There are some truly horrible enemies down there, like the Hand of Glory. Being able to switch them up is helpful.

Also, this for much later, but once you save up the points for it I always recommend buying Master Thief. It is the most expensive to unlock at like 20,000 points. It is also worth it. Make sure you buy nothing on the third floor, and if the stuff in the stores is good enough, you take it at level 10. Clear out everything of use, then hopefully there is a lemonade stand, church or anvil to burn your stored gold you will no longer need.

Another thing: Preparation is a beginning talent option, and is highly recommended for classes with cool abilities that activate outside of battle, like Professor and Dragon. Lets you use them almost twice as often, and makes already powerful classes into juggernauts. I have taken both of them all the way through to the end in part because of Preparation; Professor was my first Lord of the Dream killer (copy a bunch of that Discharge-like spell the wisp uses, add in some Three Wishes for flavor, and don’t forget multiple of those bleed stackers from the Piranha), and Dragon was my third (Shrink, that awesome spell that heals you up to 40 and does that much piercing damage, and some Coup de Grace fun with loads of actions from chomping on Thieves and the like, plus an extra card from a lucky Undead snack). This game is my Dark Souls; it is cruel to me, and I love it for that because it makes the scant few successes all the sweeter.

4 Likes

With my original profile, I never paid to unlock anything–I wanted to earn all of the achievements, damn it. Didn’t actually get them all, of course, and I’ll probably pay for stuff this time around.

Polymorph is my favorite bonus because it allows you to swap out those enemies that are virtually impossible for your particular class to beat.

My first clear came with a Thief, but I was incredibly stubborn then and went through the base classes in order. Spent a couple of weeks trying futilely to beat the game with a Priest, then switched and breezed through the third floor with a Thief. I never did kill the Lord of the Dream, though. This time …

2 Likes

Priest is annoying. Prayer cards and lots of healing make for long, grindy battles. And the longer it goes on, the closer you get to the game’s dreaded deadlock-breaker, where the enemy starts getting extra cards per turn after going through their deck a couple times

2 Likes

Got my first win with my new profile, which was almost as exciting as the first win I earned, period:

I didn’t have the Blade Flurry when I took on the Ice Queen (3rd floor boss), but that fight wasn’t too tough with this deck. Got the Lord of the Dream down to 780 or so before his endless need for gifts whittled my deck down to about 5 cards.

I’ve enjoyed getting back into DQ more than most of the new games I’ve played over the past year.

4 Likes

Thank you!

That heartens me to see that, considering what everybody has said about thinning your deck. I’m always worried I have too many cards in mine.

But it does help that so many of the action cards give you an action and let you draw a card.

1 Like

Yeah, the card draw/action refreshing was key to that deck. Pruning is essential to get the crap out—I only had 5 of my original cards left—but you don’t need a tiny deck to win.

Looked back over my old winning decks (yes, I still have the screenshots—leave me alone) and they ranged from a 19 card Wizard deck to a 31 card Thief deck.

My first clear with a new profile was the Thief as well, but I try to keep the decks thinner than that. I don’t think I would ever add a Penance or any Prayer to a Thief deck. I also try to avoid many cards that don’t draw a card and give an action. I try to remove Slices towards the end, especially if I only had 3 actions.

Next easiest of the classes seems to be Paladin for me. Typical decks involve leveling Holy Strike to 3, then copying it with the level 1 or 2 talent. Pick up enough mana to cast a cheap powerful spell like Wrath of God a few times, and don’t accidentally start combat with a physical immune guy without a couple sources of elemental damage!

Definitely would have removed the Slices if I had the opportunity, but all the monasteries I saw were on the first two floors, removing a card wasn’t an option when I leveled up most of the time, and I prioritized other abilities on each new floor.

The Penance and Prayer came out of chests fairly early, if I remember correctly. Helped me do a decent amount of damage before my deck got stronger; by the end, they were just cards I left in my hand for Coup de Grace to discard. Circle, Alacrity, and the two Swiftness cards gave me plenty of extra actions beyond the 3 base actions I had.

Don’t worry, I do that all the time too. So hard not to overstuff your deck when you’re not a Monk. Although if you play as a Paladin or get the Soulforge equipment it is less necessary to prune cards, because they let those dreaded Attack 1 cards get upgraded, as well as any other upgradable cards like the elemental attack ones or the Strikes.

Always limit the vanilla Mana cards when you can. Stick with mana cards that have useful effects with them. Especially good for once you unlock the endgame talent where all spells become free. That is highly useful if you have Discharge, Shock, or are playing Samurai.

2 Likes

You can also over-thin your deck! I have a bad habit when playing a Thief or Monk to run a deck with only 2 real damage sources, then having to concede when they both get enthralled away by the Vampire boss…

In terms of mana cards, I try to avoid all of the 3 mana and an effect cards, except for the spell draw one. You only have to get burned once playing that card and not having any spells left before a reshuffle before you start questioning that one too. An ideal mana base for me would be an Anvil on level 1 to upgrade a Mana 1 to Mana 3, a Monastery to get rid of the Mana 1s, and then pick up a couple Mana Surges on level 1/2. That may seem very specific, but it can happen fairly often.

3 Likes

I’ve over-thinned my deck to the point where I lost to a level 3 or 4 Zombie … sad but true.

Got two more clears in the last day–Paladin last night and Wizard this morning. I’m especially proud of that Wizard win, as I thinned my way down to a 12 card deck. Kick-ass earth deck (Acid Lance, Acid Rain, Blight) with a couple of defensive cards and a Shock thrown in just for the spell draw.

1 Like

Blight is awesome. That one, some Channels and a few other goodies earned me my only Wizard run that took out the Lord of the Dream entirely. He was poisoned to death in less than ten turns, taking over 100 damage per round by the end of it.

FYI, for anyone who thinks about using the Last Chance card to kill LoD by letting him take it, it works but it doesn’t. Inasmuch as you see the ‘end’ of the game (to the extent there is one) but your score and achievements act like you didn’t kill him.

2 Likes

I love having a promising Thief run endi to two Ghosts in a row after zero opportunities to obtain any elemental damage! Sometimes I forget that this game can be bullshit.

1 Like

That is true. It makes no effort to tailor the enemies that pop up to your class. Which is why even the infamous exploit of shutting down the app mid-battle to go back to right after the previous one does not help much; oftentimes you get into situations in this game that literally have no way out, beyond a time machine.

1 Like