Dire Wolf is about to blow up your digital board game world

Originally published at: https://statelyplay.com/2019/01/18/dire-wolf-is-about-to-blow-up-your-digital-board-game-world/

iOS, Android, Steam

When we think of the “greats” of digital board games, our minds easily think of names like Playdek, CGE, Digidiced, Acram, and even Asmodee. One name that doesn’t come to mind is Dire Wolf, but that’s more our fault than theirs. Not only have they created two extremely beautiful ports for Lanterns: The Harvest Festival and Lotus, but they’re also the digital brains behind Clank! and Clank! In Space!, bringing to life the digital companions for both of those titles as well.

Not bad, but 2019 is going to launch them to near the top of that list. This isn’t hyperbole. They just announced a slew of upcoming board game adaptations that are, literally, going to be insta-buys.

Mage Knight: The Board Game

First on the list is a little game that might just be the greatest solo game ever created. I’m talking Vlaada Chvatil’s second greatest design, Mage Knight: The Board Game. We’ve been wondering if this would ever get a digital adaptation as the rights were held by WizKids, but Dire Wolf has signed a deal to bring a bunch of titles from the WizKids catalog to life, with Mage Knight being the first (and WizKids’ best).

As a Mage Knight you must control your reputation and walk the line or embrace the role of benevolent leader or brutal dictator. Accumulate Fame and experience to acquire powerful Spells and abilities, then use your power to influence units to join your ranks. Will you destroy an ancient Draconum and gain favor with the people, or burn down a monastery to steal the powerful artifact hidden there? Both paths may lead to victory, but the decision is yours to make!

Mage Knight combines character development, intrigue, and the clash of swords into one of the most uniquely exciting board games of recent years. In making the digital jump, a new generation of players will get to discover the incredible depth of Mage Knight.

Root

Next on the list is 2018’s darling from Cole Wehrle and Leder Games, Root. A battle of woodland creatures vying to be kings of the forest in which each faction plays completely different than the other. Oh, and it’s cute. Bloody and cute.

Might makes right in the wild woods, where creatures of the forest have banded together to end the iron-clawed tyranny of the Marquise de Cat!

Root is an asymmetrical wargame where four unique factions battle for the right to rule the wood. Warring woodland critters – each with their own abilities and ambitions – clash in a gorgeous forest setting with a precarious balance of power. Each faction plays very differently, and players must navigate the shifting strategies of unstable alliances if they are to emerge victorious.

Sagrada

Sagrada is a eurogame about building stained glass windows which means it will never hit the table with my game group. Thus, I’m excited to see a digital version in the works so I can finally give it a go.

In Sagrada, by Daryl Andrews & Adrian Adamescu, players take turns drafting glass dice, placing each into their personal stained glass masterpiece in the Sagrada Familia. Each window is a unique work of art – with unique requirements – so careful planning and skillful use of your tools will be necessary to please your fickle admirers!

Originally released in 2017 by Floodgate Games, Sagrada racked up a slew of award nominations, with reviewers hailing it as one of the most innovative games of the year.

Yellow & Yangtze

Here’s one that I know very little about, Reiner Knizia’s follow-up to his classic Tigris & Euphrates, Yellow & Yangtze.

Build a civilization to last a thousand years in a tile-placement strategy game of ancient China. Cultivate the riverlands and found a dynasty in the sister game to the highly acclaimed Tigris & Euphrates!

Take on the roles of Governors, Soldiers, Farmers, Traders and Artisans in the Warring States period of ancient China. Survive the conflicts of expanding civilizations, and watch your kingdom flourish – but despots beware! A prosperous nation is judged by the lowliest among them, and the winner of the game is decided by the strength of your weakest category, so balance must be maintained throughout.

Wings of Glory

A prequel, of sorts, to FFG’s X-Wing, this is the original game of tabletop dogfighting, here with planes from The Great War.

The year is 1917. High above Europe, colorful biplanes roar through fly in the foggy skies as uncountable young men give up their lives in the trenches below.

Become Knights of the Air in Andrea Angiolino & Pier Giorgio Paglia’s Wings of Glory, a smooth and exciting aerial combat system that brings dogfight excitement to PCs, phones and tablets!

Raiders of the North Sea

Another hot euro that I haven’t gotten to the table, the viking-placement game Raiders of the North Sea. This one has been in development for a bit and we can expect it in Q1 of this year.

Plunder your way to adventure in a Viking worker-placement romp! Raiders of the North Sea Digital brings the hit board game to phones, tablets, and PC!

In Raiders, players assemble a crew and outfit a longboat to raid settlements for gold and fame. Impress your Chieftain in glorious battle and win your place among the legends of the North Sea!

That’s it for now, but Dire Wolf claims to have a bunch of other games in the works as well that will be announced as the year moves forward. We’ll be pinging Dire Wolf and see if we can get any new information about any or all of these titles.

3 Likes

Gosh, I’ve had Wings of Glory since it was called Wings of War, and I’ve always thought it would make a great electronic game. It’s extremely easy to bump/nudge your planes out of position, especially if just playing with the cards, when measuring for shots and even just performing maneuvers, and positioning is very important.

I also don’t really mind the idea of a game that uses IAP to let you customize your army/fleet/whatever. I don’t know if they will go this route, but if I could, say, buy the 5 exact planes I want at $1 a pop rather than playing the stupid slot machine games, I think I’d like that, at least as an experiment. They probably won’t go this route, but I always wished for an X-Wing app that did this.

Jesus Christ.

3 Likes

Is Wings of Glory a slot machine? Wings of War was exactly as you describe. I mean, actually all the planes were, if I recall, in the box as cards, you just paid for models if you wanted them.

1 Like

No, I’m referring to digital games as slot machines. Soon the wheel, open a pack of cards, trade in 100 commons for a rare, etc.

I didn’t play the Wings of Glory games, but I played X-Wing, and I loved that I could build the exact squadron I wanted, provided I wanted to buy the models. I’m saying that in a digital form would be interesting to me. Of course, if Wings of Glory had everything in the box, I don’t don’t to be nickel and dimed digitally, either.

This is like a Codito level of overpromising…

Or even Goko. Surely this much good stuff cannot come to pass?

I feel like Robert Redford in Sneakers reading this. “Okay, okay, yeah, uh-huh, okay” followed by kicking the door down.

HTML5, bros! It literally PRINTS money!

— Goko executives

Whatever happened to those guys?