Decathlon 2022 Preparation

Well that’s just great, eh?

Perhaps this is confirmation that the game won’t work?

As far as I can tell, Among the Stars at least requires everyone to be online at the same to start the game. That’s a red card as far as I’m concerned… :frowning:

1 Like

That’s the worst! That absolutely kills Scythe.

i don’t think so. that wasn’t the problem when we last played.
just too many critical bugs.

btw some 1-star-ratings in the german appstore: “unplayable”, “many bugs” etc

Ok, I’m going for it… hopefully any remaining consternation can be alleviated by me saying I’m totally open to re-thinking the selection mechanism for the final 3 games and of course bringing back any of the games that don’t make it into the first 7 events for consideration.

Without further ado, let’s vote!

Action Choice
  • Wingspan
  • Race for the Galaxy
  • Roll for the Galaxy
  • Concordia
  • Root

0 voters

Economic
  • Through the Ages
  • Brass
  • Steam: Rails to Riches
  • Terraforming Mars
  • Puerto Rico

0 voters

Fighting
  • Evolution
  • Neuroshima Hex
  • Shards of Infinity
  • Cthulhu Realms
  • Star Realms

0 voters

Puzzle
  • Sagrada
  • Indian Summer
  • Railroad Ink
  • Tsuro
  • Patchwork

0 voters

Area Control
  • Small World
  • 8 Minute Empire
  • Fort Sumter
  • Twilight Struggle
  • Gaia Project

0 voters

Tile Placement
  • Dragon Castle
  • Castles of Burgundy
  • Isle of Skye
  • Yellow & Yangtze
  • Galaxy Trucker

0 voters

Worker Placement
  • Lords of Waterdeep
  • Viticulture
  • Istanbul
  • Raiders of the North Sea
  • Le Havre

0 voters

2 Likes

Looking for some feedback on Gaia Project since it is running away with the vote and I’ve heard the interface is not great…

@JMH.75 @JammaTal @Hardco - I see you are playing a game - do you think it passes muster for the Decathlon?

Kind of wondering how many people have actually played it and voted for it, versus voting for it because they want an excuse to play it… :wink:

Can I just say, i find it absolutely fascinating the games that are and are not getting votes.

We have a very diverse group of gamers, but there are definetly some favourites here!

1 Like

Gaia Project will definitely work for the Decathlon. But I think I am decent at Terra Mystica, and I don’t really know what is going on in Gaia Project. Granted, I forsook reading all the rules and just hoped my knowledge of Terra Mystica would be enough…

2 Likes

i’m not happy with the graphics and interface.
low res, many very small icons and dark screens, no ingame zoom in most screens
and no replays [edit: WRONG! there are replays in the game!]
but badges and notifications seem to work.

1 Like

Yes, it looks like we will have a couple of run off votes to follow again this year - no surprise but always interesting!

I think there are a bunch of us, like myself, that tend to only buy new ios board games for the decathlon each year. I added Sagrada, Terraforming Mars, CoB and Wingspan from this past year.

So I mostly just vote for the game I like the most, that I already own, in each category. Some of these games I have never even heard of.

2 Likes

Yeah, I struggle with the map as well. I have the same issue with BGA’s implementation of Gaia Project too, so maybe that’s a pretty accurate representation of the physical game?

no, the physical game looks good

compared to this dark mess:

1 Like

I’m surprised to hear that Gaia Project doesn’t have replays as I’m pretty sure every other Digidiced game does. There is usually an option to toggle replays, at least on iOS. Perhaps you’ve not enabled them?

1 Like

BGA and Digidiced are virtually identical!

yes, space is a dark place, but the boardgame shows how to do it and has much more appeal.
it could have been done so much better in the app and obviously on BGA too.

i wish i could, but no [edit: WRONG! there are replays in the game!]
and yes, very strange. [edit: the only very strange thing is that i had missed the option to activate the replays :man_facepalming: :bowing_man:]

Hey everyone… I’ll give it another couple of days to see if anyone else votes, and then it looks like we may need to break some close votes!

Here’s a link to the earlier post where the polls are: Go vote!

@feederofgoats @jason1002 @kennfusion @Baelnor @Hardco @irishdomer08 @Schlotzky @geigerm @KYakerDude @HostileApostle @JHTaube @JammaTal @doublebullout @JaneHatke @JMH.75 @js619 @johnl @SpiceTheCat @whovian223 @Mirefox

1 Like

SORRY! my bad! i was wrong!

Gaia Project has replays!
and it makes a huge difference.

hat tip and thanks to @Mirefox for his persistence which drove me back into the game for another close inspection of all options and menus.

2 Likes

Ok, with a few more votes coming in we are still pretty undecided on two events - “Fighting” games and “Worker Placement” games.

I found a site that will do rank voting “elections” which I think hits the mark for getting a better sense for which game the majority would like to play…

Here’s a link for the two ballots: https://www.rcv123.org/ballot/75XgT1m5wKxrtbxC45ggZY

And once you’ve voted you can see the results here: https://www.rcv123.org/results/75XgT1m5wKxrtbxC45ggZY

Note that the results will show a “winner” but that’s not final until I close the vote.

(PS. I would have run these on SP but the polls widget doesn’t support this still of voting…)

@feederofgoats @jason1002 @kennfusion @Baelnor @Hardco @irishdomer08 @Schlotzky @geigerm @KYakerDude @HostileApostle @JHTaube @JammaTal @doublebullout @JaneHatke @JMH.75 @js619 @johnl @SpiceTheCat @whovian223 @Mirefox

4 Likes