Dead Cells making its way to iOS this summer

Originally published at: https://statelyplay.com/2019/05/07/dead-cells-making-its-way-to-ios-this-summer/

• iOS, PC/Mac/Linux, Xbox, PS4, Switch

One of the indie games to make it big on Switch was the side-scrolling platformer, Dead Cells. You play a headless lump of undead flesh trying to figure out just what the hell is going on. Actually, that might not be the point of the game, but it’s what I do each time I load it up. Anyway, word just came down the pipe that Dead Cells is making the move from Switch to iOS later this year.

I don’t much enjoy platformers, but in certain cases I’ll make an exception. Hollow Knight is one I’m still trying to muddle through and Dead Cells is another. Something about the roguelike nature of the games intrigues me. I mean, when you die, you die, but you get to hold over some remnant of previous runs through the seemingly endless (and endlessly confusing) dungeon. That advancement and the hope of getting a little better next time through is enough to keep me coming back for more.

Death is not the end. Play as a failed alchemic experiment and explore the sprawling, ever-changing castle to find out what happened on this gloomy island…! That is, assuming you’re able to fight your way past its keepers. Dead Cells is a roguevania action platformer that will require you to master frantic 2D combat with a wide variety of weapons and skills against merciless minions and boss. Kill. Die. Learn. Repeat. First available on PC and consoles, the indie hit Dead Cells is now slaying foes on mobile!

*Roguevania – The progressive exploration of an interconnected world, with the replayability of a rogue-lite and the adrenaline pumping threat of permadeath
*Frantic and Dynamic 2D Action – Learn your enemies’ patterns to stay alive, or prepare to be sent back to your cell before you can say “baguette”
*Nonlinear Progression – Unlock new levels with every death, opt for the path that suits your current build, your playstyle or just your mood. Surely, the ramparts can’t be as bad the sewers, right?
*Play at your own pace – Will you explore every nook and cranny of the castle, or rush to the end?
*Carefully redesigned for mobile with a revamped interface
*Two game modes available – Original and Auto-Hit
*Custom controls and More touch controls options available – change the buttons’ position and size to your liking, swipe to dodge…
*MFi external controller support
*Pay once to get the full Dead Cells experience! No ads, no F2P mechanics!

Now, Dead Cells on the Switch is near perfection, so I’m not entirely sure I want to switch (heh) to touch controls. That said, if you have a good MFi controller, Dead Cells on a phone could be sublime.

We don’t know an exact date, but we’re told we can expect the iOS version this summer. An Android version will arrive some time after that. If we hear any other Dead Cells info, we’ll pass it along.

1 Like

5-Star game, for sure.

On a related note, though I don’t have a link handy at the moment, I believe the developers have also said that there is some free DLC in the way with new biomes and generally more awesomeness.

1 Like

This game is surprisingly good, I mean, you know its quality in the first few minutes of play. However, as you begin to learn the ropes and unlock abilities to get further in the game it just gets better.

1 Like

If you like this sort of read, the producer of the mobile port wrote an article about the process on Gamasutra:

3 Likes

high-end mobile devices nowadays are very close to a Nintendo Switch in terms of technical power

So…what is keeping all them devs to release MY most wanted games on Mobile?

sniff

Good lesson here: When doing UX design = NEVER EVER EVER assume too many things for players . And please, playtest. Because yes, playtests showed me how wrong I was. Putting the Menu on the HP bar wasn’t enough at all, we needed a Menu icon! So, we listened and added one.

Dear lord yes…the Screenshot of the Lineage 2 port gave me heartburn…so much screen clutter oO;

Overall an interesting read.