"Crown of Cthulhu" Challenge

Yup, I thought about that!

Great game @Hardco. You have beaten me so many times at this game. Your tutoring along with @HolstenKnight have improved my game. Iā€™m glad to be back on the list!

Icon List: :crown: :surfer::hatching_chick::hatching_chick: :beer::beer::bee::hatching_chick::hatching_chick::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

NewChallenger @HolstenKnight

Challenger list:

@Zebracadabra
@Hardco

The interesting decision was my first pick, and Iā€™m interested in opinionsā€¦ I went first and had 4 bucks available with the only viable purchase being Ghasts, which would bring Hunting Horror into the market. My initial thought was to get double initiate, but then I second guessed myself, worried that with my Initiate/Follower/Follower hand Iā€™d end up with 3 bucks next turn, potentially given @KYakerDude Ghasts/Hunting Horror and never recovering.

Whatā€™s the most correct play here??

Instead, my deck ended up garbage, feeling like I was buying sub-par cards all day and handing @kyakerdude bombs!

I think I would have done the same thing you did. What I think really helped me was buying the location which cost 6 bucks and gave me 3 bucks each turn I had it. And I donā€™t think you were able to use the Ghast to destroy locations attack because there were not a lot of green cards out.

Yeah, I often feel if a strong economic building in the early game isnā€™t destroyed immediately, the game is over. Yours only lived for a extra turn, but I lost some tempo destroying it instead of getting the money from my initiates.

Hard decision, I would probably go for a full damage try, and buy the ghasts, at least if more cheap good damage cards are available. Sometimes you can win fast enough with a way worse deck. If no other green or good damage cards in sight, 2 initiate are also an option. An early catacomb alone can ofc decide a match.

Ouh, seen that move? I really thought a lot about this one. Sacrifice my 2 arkham city (that were guarding my library) for ghasts and the deep ones, as first green cards not that early in the match? Of course a lot of luck they worked out this perfect, but I felt behind and the need to try something not standard.
that was a fun match, GG. And yes I noticed your bad luck, still not able to kill my library. I guess this is what won the game for me, but I prefere to belive it was my genius play :innocent:

Icon List: :crown: :beer::surfer::hatching_chick::hatching_chick: :beer::beer::bee::hatching_chick::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

NewChallenger @Zebracadabra

Challenger list:

@Hardco
@KYakerDude

I saw that move. It was a great sacrifice. Glad you noticed my bad luck. Just had turn after turn of not getting rid of you library (easy first turn purchase, which I couldnā€™t afford). I had one or two good cards, but not enough that worked together.

The Champ will likely tromp me in the next turn. Add my name again. I donā€™t think I played poorly - sonetines things just donā€™t work out the way you plan. Sighā€¦anyway, gg, @HolstenKnight!

Sorry for the slow play, I hab to work a lot. For me everything worked out as planned, obviously. GG @Zebracadabra!

Icon List: :crown: :beer::beer::surfer::hatching_chick::hatching_chick: :beer::beer::bee::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

NewChallenger @Hardco

Challenger list:

@KYakerDude
@Zebracadabra

Location flood, not my usual way but I am versatile :laughing:
GG @hardco, thanks for this fast match before work :grin:

Ā“till midgame I thought damn, hardco always buys exactly the cards I would buy.
I guess our choices parted as you did not buy the arkham city. Also a very strong card for 3 cost, and underrated by most. I learned its value the hard way, as I lost several ranked matches against this card.

Icon List: :crown: :beer::beer::beer::surfer::hatching_chick::hatching_chick: :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

NewChallenger @KYakerDude

Challenger list:

@Zebracadabra
@Hardco

I was hoping youā€™d pick up the Ghasts over Miscatonic Library, and if not, I hoped the Ghasts would come through for me. Unfortunately when you get the turn 1 Exhume and no other ones show up, location flood can be pretty strong to stall out the game while you thin your deckā€¦

I read somewhere (looong time ago, the game was quite new) the library is the best card in the game, and always a must buy, even to prefer over any 8 cost cards.
Although I donā€˜t agree with this, it is a very strong card and was a no brainer in that situation.
I struggled with also not buying the arkham city for 2 turns. In most situations I would buy it before ruins or even misanthropic hospital.
But that is what I love about Cthulhu realms. Even after such a long time playing, I could not write a guide without a million exceptions to every rule :exploding_head::grin:

Iā€™d agree with that assessment of the library, but Iā€™m not a fan of Arkham City. Iā€™m never happy to draw it, as it has limited impact on the game other than as a damage soaker.

But it makes other locations so much stronger, for example a library behind an arkham city, or the arkham sanatorium you bought. This cards start to shine if in play for more than 1 turn, and for thisā€¦

And if not useful for safety for other locations, you can sacrifice it for 3(!) conjuring power. So a very versatile card, which most opponents will destroy whenever they can (this way blocking 5 damage every time, for 3 cost). But you are absolute correct, it is everything else than always a must buy. But it can be very strong, depends on the situation.

Ofc I will never pretend I am correct with every judgement! And as I said, I judged this one like most players for a very long time. I feel It is one thing I improved after reinstalling the game some months ago, and playing a lot of ranked matches (and way more resulting friendly rematches).

My thoughts on cards that you can sacrifice for 3 bucks is that they are a lot worse in this game than in Star Realms. This game doesnā€™t have as many game breaking 8 cost cards, and the addition of initiates in the starting deck means the boost of 3 isnā€™t as impactful. Since you arenā€™t increasing the density of good cards in your deck, itā€™s easy to find yourself wondering why you have nothing but Followers on the early to midgame cycles through your deckā€¦

Donā€˜t you try to use my advice against me @KYakerDude :laughing:.
First round city, and although it never worked with another location (bad luck) it was annoying :sweat_smile:
But the nr.1 tactic in CR (green abjure cards) , saved the win for me. GG

Icon List: :crown: :beer::beer::beer::beer::surfer::hatching_chick::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

NewChallenger @Zebracadabra

Challenger list:

@Hardco
@KYakerDude

I did try that!
But was disappointed to see that you would be able to get two green abjure cards your next turn. I was able to put up locations for a while, but couldnā€™t really have any cards work together. And by that time you were able to refine your deck.

As usual, the correct play was not to get the City!

always impressing when a player is so sure about a one and only correct play.

and it seems high time to make use of that kind of knowledge when i take a look at the line :thinking:
go for it!