Carcassonne Update

If you haven’t seen it, Carcassonne is getting an Asmodee update.

I was a little worried that the already great Carcassonne app would be borked by Asmodee. I have nothing against Asmodee, they have been putting out many good board game apps. But I have a hard time imagining what could be improved with the Carcassonne app. I felt better after looking through the twitter feed responses. Turns out that it will just be an Android version. They don’t have rights to the iOS version.

Oh, thank heavens. I saw the title and my heart dropped a little - pretty sure Asmodee could screw up anything at this point; they’re only eclipsed by Hexwar for awful multiplayer implementations…

While there are certainly some exceptions, board gaming is, in general, a social, multiplayer-focused hobby. While Asmodee has put out some apps that do show quality, it is baffling that they aren’t on board with quality multiplayer.

Glad this only applies to Android.

:sweat_smile:
I was getting worried there! Maybe they manage to learn from Coding Monkeys how to do this right, but I do not have high hopes for that.

i must say Asmodee has successfully patched Potion Explosion at last.
it’s an enjoyable async MP game now, with extremely polished graphics and great animations.
but it was a painful trip and took some time.
and we are still missing replays!
the game can do it when closed by home button and letting it stay in background, but so it’s even more astounding that Asmodee did not care to install regular replays :frowning2:

1 Like

I must agree. PE has been cleaned up so it is very enjoyable. There are some more things they could do to make it great, overall it works well.

At least Asmodee is showing an interest in updating their games. They’ve done it with Onirim (though offering it for free for so long makes me wonder what their business plan is) and other games.

I have to say that Small World is also a really good app now. Haven’t lost an invitation in quite a while, and THERE ARE REPLAYS as well!

Woo!

Now I just wish I enjoyed the game more :slight_smile:

I heard (probably over at Pocket Tactics) that Small World has an end game scoring bug. Do you know if this is the case? Also, when was the last time the app was updated?

Since I don’t really know the game that well, any scoring bug would slide right by me.

It was last updated (according to iTunes, anyway) in 2014.

But at least it has replays!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. We played a few games here. See Looking for Small World Players Some players, I believe it was the winning, or last player would see the end game scoring information. Others wound not necessarily see it.

Oh, that bug.

I have seen it, but funnily enough it would eventually show up for me.

it always had replays right from the start, and a very exciting end game ceremony.
gold was raining down onto heaps for each player, ending sooner for last places, and raining on for the first and second player.
then an update ruined that for all but one player. a shame.
they promised to fix it, but it never happened.