Call of Cthulhu, or, The Things I Do For My Investigators

So, I’ve been running my own Call of Cthulhu campaign for some people I know, both online and in person, and one of my players doesn’t understand much about firearms. In order to educate them and give them a reminder, I splashed out on something to help out.

It’s a neat little toy, you can actually load the magazines, and it feeds and ejects more reliably than an actual 1911 (haha, just my little firearms joke there, suck it John Moses Browning). What really caught my eye though, were the images advertising it (and I use that term as loosely as possible).

I don’t think my RPG campaign will ever manage to attain the same heights of horror as those pictures of families nonchalantly blowing each other away for a laugh, but at least it gives me something to aim for.

3 Likes

Does it…. Shoot?

It does, yes. An interesting little pneumatic system using plastic cartridge casings and little rubber bullets, that actually sting quite a bit if someone should ‘accidentally’ shoot you. Tends to happen within seconds, strangely.

But it also allows you to load, unload, press check, cock, etc which is what I bought it for.

1 Like

I’m stuck wondering what they photoshopped out.

3 Likes

Hmm, even I would love to learn more about these firearms…

But they nailed the trigger discipline…

2 Likes

Funny cause it’s true :man_facepalming:

Source; Have two. Both extraordinarily expensive. Both fail to feed / fail to eject at least once a teeny tiny magazine.

2 Likes

Excellent idea for visualisation, and way better than the time I had to buy technical Lego to work out how a differential gear worked.

On the downside, it looks like a good way to get a pastoral visit from SCO19/your friendly local firearms unit should you play with it incautiously.

1 Like

Too late, already been to the nearest Post Office with it to make a ‘withdrawal’.

1 Like

I’ll see you and raise you the real deal. Newly owned Stealth Arms Platypus; 1911 fully customizable on the website which uses Glock 9mm magazines. Shoots exactly as nicely as you’d expect but is obviously a safe queen, way too big to carry not to mention the wholly different manual of arms from what I use on a day to day.

2 Likes

Wait, there’s a teal and orange 1911 model Platypus called Perry…. That’s amazing.

3 Likes

There is lots of add ons I don’t understand…. Is it a flashlight underneath (see me practicing my American and not calling it a torch…) and is that blocky black thing a sight?

2 Likes

Yes to both.

The blocky mailbox looking thing is an Aimpoint Acro P2, which is an enclosed red dot sight. The enclosed sights have some advantages over exposed emitters, in that they can’t get blocked by dirt or dust, and they’re a little more rugged. I put one on this gun cause I had an extra one laying around.

The light is a Surefire X300U; I put lights on all of my guns. Can’t shoot what you can’t see.

1 Like

Is it still DA/SA? I love older style pistols, and I had a bit of experience with the Browning High Power, which was a dream to run. Safe as houses.

Edit: judging by the safety and hammer position it is.

1 Like

Funny, I don’t know how to describe a 1911 as DA or SA? It’s not DAO, in that the hammer has to be cocked, but there’s no decocker and it has a SA trigger pull. But you also don’t have to manually cock the hammer like a true single action.

Contrast this with my Sig P229, which is DA/SA. First shot is a heavy pull which cocks the hammer, and then subsequent shots are SA.

ETA: internet consensus is that 1911’s are SA

1 Like

They are indeed, my memory has failed me. I had forgotten all about that, including doing stuff like manually cocking the hammer.