Battle of Polytopia going multiplayer

I have to admit to not liking the multiplayer aspect of this one whatsoever. The missing unit bug is irritating, but I don’t think that’s it… maybe it’s that games take too long? It’s a simple game and sometimes it’s forever between turns… but that’s not completely it either. I can’t really put my finger on it, but I don’t love this as mp.

1 Like

The masses of players on a map games that people set up are very slow. I think it’s a hangover from single player where you can grind through a game like that at your own speed.

I’ve played a number of games with the ‘correct’ amount of players on small and medium and they go fairly fast. The experience is closer to a 4x game, rather than the over crowded maps being all combat, all the time.

I do think the game is balanced better for single player than multiplayer though. A 2 player game with both players having similar strategies will often be decided by the strength of their spawn. That’s not such a problem in single player, but when you make first contact in multiplayer and they have an edge on you it’s pretty much game over already. It’s a shame.

one of the games has just ended.
i think it was “Mysterious Mountains”.

i started on the small island in the right down corner and thought i had no chance.
the athros bot had a strong lead when i clashed into it. it was a tough long fight to turn the tide.

in the last two still running games it’s all about invisible units by now.

it’s a mess. i nearly missed a ship with a giant onboard right on course to my capital.
most turn time goes to tapping around to find invisible enemy units.
easier to find my own hidden units but when i find one, another disappears.
i will not play MP again before that bug has been fixed.

I’ve forgotten about my own units sometimes because they’ve disappeared, and mistakenly attacked a city in one of my games because the defender was invisible. I wouldn’t have attacked had I known; merely thought I was moving in… fully agreed.

the invisible units bug fix is live! :clap: :+1:

and i fully agree to Snotty that 4 players should be maximum on even medium maps.
to step out of the frontdoor only to run into the hostile neighbor in that very moment just feels wrong.