Battle of Polytopia gets pass-and-play and a new tribe

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2016/12/09/battle-of-polytopia-gets-pass-and-play-and-a-new-tribe/

Battle of Polytopia, or as I like to call it, the artist formerly known as Super Tribes, is one of the bright spots of 2016. A simple 4X game that you can finish in 15 minutes, yet somehow manages to hit all the important 4X buttons. How do they do it? I don’t know, I just play the damn things. I do know that the game just got better with a massive update from developer Midjiwan.

The biggest news to come from the update is the inclusion of pass-and-play multiplayer. Until now, Polytopia had been a solo affair (and a rather brilliant one). There’s also a new tribe and more:

-Pass & Play multiplayer with two new game modes.

-Introducing The Ai-Mo tribe! They start with the meditation tech and live high up in the mountains.

Other news:
-UI improvements
-Reduced cost of Forest Temple
-Doubled bonus for forge
-Capitals always spawn with two usable resources (if tech available)
-First time users can pick tribe for the intro game
-Reduced file size

If you haven’t picked up Battle of Polytopia, it’s a no-brainer. One of 2016’s best and it’s free. That’s free as in free, no ads or other annoyances. If you want to send the devs some cash, you can do so by buying new tribes for $1/each. Not necessary, but after playing you’ll probably want to float them a few bucks for their hard work. If you’ve been on it since the beginning, now might be a good time to reinstall it and start conquering your 15x15 grid all over again. https://youtu.be/YxE1oCnL-zU
1 Like

This seems totally in my wheelhouse, but I’ve never heard of it. Thanks!

I keep playing this game quite often in the subway, by far my favorite and most played game of 2016.
The randomness of your initial location on the map can be brutal (like between Vengir with their early swordmen, and Oumaji with riders) but at least you know really quick when you won’t be able to survive, and games are fast.