Asmodee won't stop, releases Onirim today

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2017/04/06/asmodee-wont-stop-releases-onirim-today/

iOS Universal, Android •

At the end of last November, Asmodee Digital started their deluge of board game ports with Colt Express and haven’t let up yet. In fact, if my counting is correct, Onirim will be their sixth release in just over four months. One constant of the Asmodee releases has been their failure to adhere to the tenets of our multiplayer manifesto, creating multiplayer experiences that have been less than stellar. Onirim manages to dodge that bullet by being a completely solitaire experience and it just happens to be available right now for iOS and Android.

Onirim is a cooperative/solo experience on the table, but Asmodee has turned it into a strictly solitaire endeavor on your touchscreen. The goal is to escape a dream by finding doors before the dream ends, trapping you inside the dream world…FOREVER!

You must work against the game to gather the eight oneiric doors before the deck runs out. You can obtain door cards either by playing cards of the same color three turns in a row or by discarding one of your powerful key cards when a door appears from the deck. In both cases, you will have to decide the best use of each card in your hand and carefully play around the Nightmares. Those cards are hidden in the deck and will trigger painful dilemmas when drawn.
I have yet to play the digital version of Onirim--I said I wouldn't cry--but I know a few others who have had a pre-release copy and have been saying pretty great things about it.

The app includes the base game only and doesn’t include any of the game’s expansions. It’s out right now for both iOS and Android and is currently on sale for only $1.

https://youtu.be/OaiE8F2MDvk
1 Like

This was an instabuy for me. It plays well; except that I still haven’t won. Asmodee did a great job. It looks and sound great (except the menu music). [Where is the option to turn off the menu music but keep the game music?].

If you at all like solo games or have played this one, I heartily recommend it.

It appears they are considering adding the expansions because there are indications in the game itself that this is the base game. My understanding is that they are gauging interest, so ask for the expansions.:grinning:

1 Like

Instabuy here too and I could just as easily shuffle my actual physical set and play.

I don’t get it… I got unlucky draws my first game and there was no way to win, then got lucky draws the next game and won with 17 cards left.

So far I’m getting used to this screen.

And still loving it.

It is working for me. Except that I’m not winning many games either. I’ve one one! I’ve had better luck playing in real life (even without cheating).

Is there a way to directly resize a screenshot to upload it here? My screenshots are too large.

What I have heard is that what really makes the game interesting are the expansions (there were seven in the 2nd ed, I think). Unfortunately, none of those are included as yet. The basic game is very…basic. It seems well put together though and the app works just fine.

Yeah, the physical set itself comes with one expansion in the box already, but it looks like the menus / UI is already laid out with expansions in mind.

Finally won a round after 4 attempts last night.

Pretty happy with that run.

I had never heard of this game, but for $1, I’ll try almost anything people here recommend. I like it quite a bit so far–it’s a fun solitaire game–but I can see how it might get stale relatively quickly without expansions.

It is interesting how the nature of the game changes from real life to on the iPad. In real life, the handling of the cards and shuffling are part of the experience. Games take a little longer. I can whip through a game faster on my iPad which makes me think it could get stale without the expansions. While I have the expansions, I’ve never played them. I’ll want to play them on my iPad soon.

There’s a LOT of shuffling. I prefer digital in that sort of scenario, but I get where you are coming from.