Asmodee bringing Munchkin to digital with Munchkin: Quacked Quest

Originally published at: https://statelyplay.com/2019/09/12/asmodee-bringing-munchkin-to-digital-with-munchkin-quacked-quest/

• PS4, Xbox, PC, Switch

While I’ve never been a huge Munchkin fan, I see the appeal. A easy-to-grok, take-that card game that plays with RPG tropes and is illustrated by John Kovalic can’t be all that bad. While I haven’t played the tabletop version for years, today Asmodee Digital announced a new video game version ‘based on’ the Steve Jackson staple. I have to admit, it looks and sounds pretty cool.

Once you get past the very Munchkin-esque title, Munchkin: Quacked Quest, the actual gameplay we’re getting sounds pretty cool. Dungeon delve with up to 3 friends who may not be your friends by the time the game is over.

The digital game is based on Munchkin, the award-winning card game designed by Steve Jackson. The winner of the 2001 Origins Award for Best Traditional Card Game, Munchkin: Quacked Quest captures the essence of the dungeon experience, but with none of that stupid roleplaying stuff. You compete to kill monsters and grab magic items, and what magic items they are! Don the Horny Helmet and the Boots of Butt-Kicking. Wield the Staff of Napalm, or maybe the Chainsaw of Bloody Dismemberment. You may start by slaughtering the Potted Plant and the Drooling Slime, and work your way up to the Plutonium Dragon.

-Humor: the narrator breaks the fourth wall by commenting on the actions of the players; the silly items, weapons and enemies in the game; and the unique objectives (such as the Golden Duck win).
-Pop culture references: mixing entertainment with RPG parody.
-Cooperate (now) to better betray (later): players need to constantly keep an eye on their friends, as backstabbing your comrades is an efficient road to victory.

The game will feature up to 4-player multiplayer and it sounds more like an action RPG like Diablo (with PvP) than a traditional card game. If that’s the case, sign me up.

Munchkin: Quacked Quest will be coming to PS4, Xbox, PC, and Switch within the next few months. It has a release window of Autumn 2019, so it could really happen at any time now.

1 Like

I haven’t actually played one, but games where the premise is to work cooperatively while also working to find the right time to betray your teammates sound fun, in theory. I’ve wanted to pick up the Bloodborne cars game for that very reason.