Anyone interested in Dropmix?

Anyone here interested in Dropmix? My friend Mike seems like he’s about to go on a collecting tear with it, and I respect his opinion on many things (though he’s often more collecting-focused and enthusiastic than I), but I also recognize that it’s a nearly perfect game to unite him and his daughter. I saw it got a mention on Penny Arcade today, too, and wondered whether that’s the sort of content we should be aiming for here. I’d be able to provide only the perspective of a person with no musical training and bad taste (I own four Roxette CDs), but I’m intrigued.

I hadn’t heard of it until today. Looks intriguing, even if I have no idea how it plays.

I saw some gameplay streams when they first announced it. If I was still at home with my ‘rock band’mate we would be all over this. The idea of building unique songs out of samples really appeals to me, and is certainly way more interesting than the gameplay elements that I saw. Of course the spectre of DJ hero lingers on in my memory, so I’m cautious about this foray into more electronically inspired music.

1 Like

I think it looks like something I’d want to get all the booster packs for, end up spending over £200 on, and probably only play it about 5 times. If it was £100 all inclusive, I’d probably spring for it, but Gloomhaven bit a huge hole in my gaming budget this year.

1 Like

Yeah. It looks like a pretty stripped-down numbers game, because the cards don’t seem to have a lot of text for unique qualities. I put on a gameplay video while I was cleaning the bunny cage and pen yesterday, and it sounded like there was some semi-attractive planning ahead to mitigate randomness, but the random events seemed quite swingy and largely obviated all the careful planning of one of the players. I obviously wasn’t paying close attention, but the audio didn’t change very fast, and it generally wasn’t too pleasing. Which, come to think of it, isn’t that weird; people put together the songs they do for a reason.

Anyway, it seems like a truly thrilling, captivating toy to play with for a few hours, but I’m not optimistic about the game.

Has anyone given this a shot recently?

It is on sale for $50 on Amazon and I’m awfully tempted for he novelty alone but I’d love to hear more impressions.

I own four Roxette CDs

Trigger warning that stuff please.

Yeah, it was pretty intense. I wouldn’t quite say that it must have been love, but it’s over now.

5 Likes

Comment of the year, signed, sealed, and delivered… as long as you don’t try to make us fools c’mon [and] join the joyride…

2 Likes

I did end up getting it, as well as the whole second series of discovery packs and the derby (pop) playlist pack. I’ve really kind of enjoyed just playing around with it in freestyle, but the song selection is not what I’d have hoped. I think some of the bands are Harmonix’s in-house bands, which they’re using to fill some holes in what kinds of beats and melodies they have available in existing music that’s licensed for the system. Pretty sensible, from both a musical and business perspective, but it knocks a touch off the premium feel of the product. Then again, it’s apparently selling for half price from Amazon and Best Buy at the moment, and has often done so over the past couple months (which is why I got it at all), so that helps. But I haven’t been able to get my kids (who quite like paying with it in freestyle, too) to even try the game element.

I should also mention that, if you’re easily annoyed by repetitive sounds of the kinds so often beloved by young children, it’s best not to have this in the house. I think my wife begging the kids to knock it off has kind of diminished its appeal to them (for which I’m grateful—it’s a wonderful pair of children who see “this annoys mom” as a detriment, rather than a bonus). Overall, I’m satisfied with my purchase, but I’d hoped to discover more music I enjoyed with it. I think the only songs I ended up learning to like from the cards I have are Skrillex’s “Bangarang” and the Chainsmokers/Halsey’s “Closer” (no relation to the Nine Inch Nails/Richard Cheese song).

I have just picked this up for a song. Hoping it will help what looks to be a slightly pinched Christmas season. Anyone been playing it much?

1 Like

I let my kids play it occasionally just to have fun mixing music. As a piece of tech, it is really cool and a fun demonstration of what card games in the future can possibly do. As a game, I’m indifferent. For cheap, it’s great. I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for it. I do wish I had more cards.

I will admit that since it is a music game, your love for it may depend on how much you like the music. I’m not a huge fan, but the kinds of music I tend to like don’t offer themselves to being mixed quite as well.

2 Likes

I’ll echo the sentiment that it’s very dependent on your appreciation for the songs. One of the things that has brought us back to Rock Band from time to time is the ability to buy the song you happen to have on the brain. The catalog for Dropmix is more limited, and tends to aim at somewhat older listeners than my kids but younger than me. So it’s still neat, but we rarely use it. I keep meaning to try puzzle mode, though.

1 Like