1st Stalely Play "Steam Rails to Riches" Championship

semifinal A has ended.

Jamma 75
KYakerDude 66
Sleeping Giant 46

me and KYaker will be taking seats at the final table.

2 Likes

hello Semifinal B?
nearly another month has passed since semifinal A has ended.
game still going on?

Yes it is. We are in round 7.

Not all of the players have been able to take their turns soon after being notified that it is their turnā€¦

holy moly!
this will be going down into history books as slowest ā€œmovingā€ tournament game of all times.

another 28 days have passed. game was in round 7 and is still not finished!?
ok, who is the slowpoke?
iā€™m totally sure it ainā€™t robthomasson.
have we a dropout?
yeah, the game setup misses a timer option. but when gamers subscribe to a tournament i thought they wanted to play ?

what can i do as organizer?
i could terminate the game, take the standings as is and advance the two leading players into the 4P final.

but i appeal to all players to finish the game. one move in 2 days must be possible.

for the final i will think about house rules to make up for the missing ingame timer.

You did it ā€¦ the game is over ā€¦

Masterful planning by @duckworp to end with little or no cash. I took income by mistake at one point ā€¦ but who knows, it may have been a good thing to do.

Congratulations to Pete who reached 3 (very nearly 4) corners of the map and gained the most VPs and had the most links. @SpiceTheCat had a better reach than I did, but suffered more than I did from ā€œinteractionā€ with Pete.

Thanks to both for the game ā€¦ nearly 12 weeks in the making!

2 Likes

a very close game with great scores! for all 3 players :clap:
15/15/13 connections are remarkable too.

so @duckworp, @robthomasson, @KYakerDude and me will play the final.
i think the following maps would be all good picks.
does everybody own all maps? if not, please tell us.
if yes, pick your favorite. we will have a poll.
in case of ties, organizer decides.

lower Rhine & Ruhr (3-5)
Carcassonne (3-5)
USA-Canada (3-6)
Northern England (3-6)

my vote goes toā€¦Northern England.

I only have the default ones. Iā€™ve not made any IAP, so my vote is Lower Rhine & Ruhr.

Northern England first ā€¦ as it is new to me ā€¦ but any other is okay.

But mostly ā€¦ can we require @KYakerDude to spend money to play?
If not, then there is no choice.

We got there! Congratulations to @duckworp and @robthomasson. The game felt closer, but I donā€™t seem to have an intuitive sense of game standing in Steam. I also took income by mistake once, but it wouldnā€™t have changed the game order. Good luck to all in the final :blush:

Norther England gets my vote too.

the standings in Steam can be seen/calculated anytime.
accumulated VPs are shown + 1 VP for each established connection.
plus 1 VP for each 2-step of income.
zero pts for money.

open information all the way through. no hand of cards, no dice.

exactly. no choice. i had emphasized at start of tourney that no player would have to spend extra money.

player sequence is randomized by the game. i wish we had a bidding round like in basic games vs A.I., but no.

i have created ā€œSP finalā€ on Rhine & Ruhr. password ā€œchampionā€.

Thanks. Itā€™s not pay to win! :slight_smile:

Calculated!?! That involves work and I need to preserve my brain cells. Plus ā€¦ it would remove the drama of the final reveal.

Although I guess that if you have a choice of which good to take you would want to know the current total scores in order to make the decision.

ā€œcalculateā€ was a hefty exaggeration.
ā€œcounting tokensā€ is correct :smirk:

i have started ā€œSP finalā€ !

Donā€™t underestimate my ability to avoid effort :sunglasses:

1 Like

and the very first Stately Steamer, winner of the 1st Stately Steam Championship is @robthomasson! congratulations! :trophy: :tada: :champagne:
:steam_locomotive::dash::dash::dash:

2 Likes

Phew! A tense game against great opposition. Thank you to all and especially @JammaTal for organising.

@duckworp started in what seemed to me to be an undesirable location - in the north-eastern corner with @JammaTal to the west and mountains to the south. But he made it work and it hurt @JammaTal who ended up having to pay to use my track a few times and those few victory points made all the difference.

Both @KYakerDude and myself started in the middle. After the initial manoeuvres I went north and he went south so we didnā€™t get in each others way.

Both @duckworp and I ended with a level 5 locomotive. The move to a level 6 is never certain for me. There always seem to be some other power that I want more so the promotion to level 6 would have use up a move goods turn and I rarely know that I will get enough 6 moves of goods to compensate.

3 Likes

i think i had to pay about the same amount to you and Pete for using parts of tracks.

Did you? Oh ā€¦ then I must be a genius after all. Or just lucky. Maybe both :nerd: