The Stately Players' Game of the Year

They’re working on it. :slight_smile:

Actually, I owe @Strangiato about a dozen emails since Gen Con and just haven’t been in a place to follow through. Now that I’ve announced my failure publicly, perhaps it will spur me to actually get it done before Xmas…

Unless that game is Dream Quest, of course.

4 Likes

dbl

3 Likes

Yes please… I’ve heard tell someone (cough, cough) sent you a screenshot at some point…

took me a second, but, well done sir, well done.

Two movies apparently scarred me as a child: The Neverending Story and Labyrinth. I don’t remember much about The Neverending Story, but I remember being terrified that something was going to come out of the headboard of my bed and eat me. I remember the creepy orange muppet things that popped their eyes out in Labyrinth. I know it’s irrational, but I’ve completely avoided those movies since early childhood. I haven’t avoided Bowie, though.

haha, my sisters used to watch Labyrinth incessantly. My mother had (has?) a crush on Bowie, so…

Ah. You got me there.

PC: Battletech

Yes, I know it’s a flawed game in some ways, but I don’t think any game has translated the nostalgic tabletop fantasies of my youth into the new digital age more accurately in a long, long time.

Mobile: I agree that it hasn’t been a stellar year for mobile releases. Barring another vote for Dream Quest, I’ll toss a nod toward Pocket City.

If games can double dip with a new platform then Fortnite, obviously.

/dodges hate like a ninja

1 Like

I will say, as much as I fawn over DQ, I really would prefer not to see it win forever. However much it deserves to.

2 Likes

Shit, totally forgot about Bad North, and the campaign I was probably halfway through.

Oh if we’re talking physical board games I’ve gotta plug Fine Sand by Friedemann Friese.

1 Like

While Cinco Paus is the objectively correct vote, I’ll add a couple of nominations that I haven’t seen mentioned yet and I believe deserve to have at least a ballot slot. The Room: Old Sins, and Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind.

(I’d have added Slay the Spire, but that apparently fails to make the cut-off, having been released in Early Access on 15th November last year, though SP didn’t discover it until January.)

2 Likes

Oh god, how did I forget to nominate Six Ages? It’s exile for me.

3 Likes

Star Command.

3 Likes

Aaaand I about spit my drink…

1 Like

Is Horus Heresy: Legions actually that good? I must admit, I’m a 40k nut and recently MtG: Arena cured me of my card games burnout (thanks HS). And with upcoming christmas related travels I may need a mobile fix…

Well I am a bit biased.
I wasn’t hooked on HS long, I never catched on Elder signs…and didn’t bother with the LotR game.
Also Wh40k stuff! And Raven Guard! twitch

It is a bit rough around the edges,it improved on some of HS shortcomings, introduced some new hitches but overall its good. It doesn’t provide that much options than other games in the category do, but for me thats perfectly fine, I don’t have the time or willpower to be heavily invested in one game alone, so I am good with HH:L not occupying me the whole day.

Also the events (think HS Arena) are with preconstructed decks where you get to pick from a pool (per run the pool is slightly reshuffled) so no netdecking here.
Also I think the balance is ok-ish. It took me a while but I got to the Terra-Leguae (highest bracket) without spending money on the game…and with the Tutorial Warmaster on top of that.
I am fine with the free stuff handed out occasionally so overall the game is a win for me.

1 Like

Sweet, I will defo give it a try then.