The Royal Library of Alexandria (SP Book Discussion)

Slightly more specific request:

I’m looking for a family audiobook for a road trip. I’d like something with quality audio work. Harry Potter has been a hit in our house but we’ve listened to it plenty. We also tried The Mysterious Benedict Society and it was slow slow and boring I couldn’t stay awake sitting at home.

I’ve gotten Animal Farm and Watership Down from the library but want some other suggestions.

Have you tried Land of Stories? I listened with my 10yo son to half of the first book during a trip and we both loved it. He did not want to wait for the next occasion and continued this book and all the rest alone (he is currently listening to book 6 as far as I know).

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll look in to it.

JFC how tough are your kids.

It will depend on how good the narrator is, but there’s a bunch of great classics that should work: The Once and Future King, The Borrowers, Redwall, and The Hobbit.

Horrendous cover aside, this is a classic thriller of a bunch of bad guys fucking around with a slob only to find out the slob is the World’s Deadliest Man. It lacks punch in the modern day, but it’s still a decent book. Lacking on detail, but slightly too heavy on the hero worship, there’s nevertheless an entertaining bleakness and insight to it.

Equal parts well-researched history and rabid xenophobia, this is a short graphic novel about how the English fucked the French at Crecy, narrated directly to the reader by one of the participants, a common English archer. Deploying entertaining anachronisms and an unapologetically hateful viewpoint character, the book details the overall English attitude (again, anachronistically…but probably with a fair amount of accuracy) and actions in France, along with a lot of detail. A good read for a jaundiced eye, taken with a large grain of salt.

Just finished Mercury Rising, R.W.W. Greene. I went into this having forgotten why it was on my list to be read, and having purchased it because it was cheap on Kindle when I had some credits that were expiring. So I knew I at one point wanted to read it, but had no idea what virtues I expected to find in it, or even whether I was still interested in whatever it was doing. Consequently, I almost didn’t make it past the first chapter, which is not like the rest of the book. The tagline “Top Gun in space!” is bizarre, and moderately suited to that first chapter, but the rest of the book is more like a cross between Top Gun and Catch-22 in space, and isn’t really aiming at the main virtues of either. Instead, it takes a main character who is initially sort of bluntly disappointing as a human and develops him into someone I was happy to read a book about, while taking the sci-fi elements in a moderately extreme direction without ever quite feeling like science fantasy. It’s neither heavily political nor strategic–the characters are generally low-ranking folks with the sorts of concerns you’d expect, and the book spends enough time on those concerns to make their connections to anything larger feel coincidental, rather than character-defining.

After a pretty terrible first impression, I enjoyed it a good deal!

2 Likes

I’m making them tough, lol.

Redwall is a great suggestion, though I forgot to mention that we have listened to about a dozen of Jacques’s books already. I suppose another wouldn’t be bad, though.

2 Likes

Unsure of the audiobook status, but my oldest really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series after finishing HP.

2 Likes

Elkins again wins over the crowd after her tome about British concentration camps in Kenya in the 1950s was so well-received by the usual red-faced suspects. The insidious intertwining of liberal thought, racism, imperialism, colonialism, and the reflexive application of violence.

A mythology and belief system I’m almost completely unfamiliar with, as a Native American in the ecological post-apocalypse hunts monsters and deals with trickster gods. Prose isn’t brilliant, but the setting kept me reading.

2 Likes

@OhBollox, What in the FUCK did I just read?

Really enjoyed this novel of a mid-twentieth century artist, spending time in an artists’ retreat to find The Next Big Thing. Or is she? Wonderfully written, highly descriptive, and hard to put down.

4 Likes

IMG_20211212_135125

A bold new take on WWII, and I suspect McMeekin goes too far, in casting Stalin as the great architect, and the main beneficiary, of the war. While it contains many notable occasions where Stalin outmanoeuvred allies and enemies alike, it borders on casting him as an indefatigable, if not near-unstoppable, supervillain.

After Wolf in White Van, I was automatically interested in anything Darnielle wrote. Whereas Wolf was relatively (very relatively) straightforward, Universal Harvester dips into history, memory, and loss in a more open way, allowing you to fill in a lot of blanks yourself, while not being purposely ambiguous. Very unusual style.

Fry’s retelling (henceforth known as Troy Story) is admirable for having such a deft light touch that one can easily imagine him as a storyteller of old. I’ve appreciated the understated simplicity of his writing for a long time, and this, his third reworking of Greek material, is spellbinding.

2 Likes

Ploughed through these courtesy of a bunch of flights and long layovers. A good shot at trying to write credible non-human intelligences, respectively spiders, octopuses and (my favourite) unicameral crows. Also parasitic intelligent slime and a human intelligence running on an ant-based computer. Nod to Terry Pratchet there I think.

Enjoyable, although the last one turned out to be the SF equivalent of “it was all a dream“ and chucking your iPad across business class is frowned upon.

6 Likes

Fucking cunt’s trick.

1 Like

Yep. Viewpoint character experiences continuity errors and other characters have inexplicable powers, what could it be. Beaten to death by Star Trek on its less imaginative days.

1 Like

To say nothing of the Wizard of Oz.

Enjoyed the first, couldn’t finish the second. Seems I chose well lol.

1 Like

There’s a compelling mystery here, as a film star disappears after a flight, and an obsessive film student investigates years later. I like Priest’s books, even if he thinks the only clever person in them is himself. Well-written, extremely competent prose.

Anthropocene satire, as a project needs environmental approval and to not exterminate any species in a world that has finally woken up to the destruction of biodiversity, and is busy covering its arse. Perfect. Could not be enjoying it more.

Pretty decent overview, but I’m not sure I’m going to learn anything new. Good to have a nice condensed version to hand though.

An interesting if well-worn set up, but the prose just isn’t good enough? There’s a lot missing from this that makes me feel like it was written, quite cynically, to order.

Tells instead of shows from the start. Too much exposition clumsily camouflaged. I just don’t have the patience for it any more, I’d rather be completely clueless for most of the book rather than have characters go “Wow, did you find your long-lost father yet?!”

Some gentle history for normies. I really appreciate books like this, although it may be erring too far into pop history, I don’t know enough yet to rip holes in it.

A multiverse book with a difference. I am cautiously enjoying this and, given my recent track record, waiting for it to go to shit.

3 Likes

Wesley Chu’s The Art of Prophecy and its recently-released sequel, The Art of Destiny. I think of the wuxia genre are having largely visual virtues, so I was intrigued to see that a book in that genre was well-reviewed. I cannot recommend starting the series at this time; I was under the mistaken impression that it was a duology. From the end of the second book, it very clearly is not, and I am sad that my poor memory is unlikely to be up to the task of remembering all of these characters until the sequel comes out, and am somewhat impatient. Conversely, while I quite enjoyed both books, I found the prose in the second a little less polished in some kind of obvious ways which made it feel like maybe it was a touch rushed (for example, on one occasion, a group is described as “tired and exhausted”, and a little later the word “exhausted” is used in successive sentences). So, not that my preferences are relevant anyway, but if they were to be, I would satisfy myself with a deliberate pace to the release of the next novel in the series.

I really didn’t follow the fights well at all, and I’m not sure how much it matters–Chu basically puts in placeholder names for a lot of moves which bear some associations, but effectively communicate that the reader, not being an artist of war themselves, couldn’t understand the action at anything like the level the participants are (and perhaps the author couldn’t, either). So they serve as simply a way to convey a vibe, which is probably about the best approach. Consequently, the book doesn’t dwell on the fight details in the way that kung fu movies typically do–it gives you a sense of the impact the action has on the characters, and keeps it snappy. This leaves a lot more room for characterization, world-building, and larger-scale political considerations, all of which it does pretty well (in part by not fussing too much about explaining everything).

Next up will be Black River Orchard. Horror’s not my usual genre, but I’ve found Chuck Wendig to be a good follow on Bluesky, so I keep hearing about it, and thought I’d give it a shot when I saw it in the library.

2 Likes

I’m about 100 pages into Black River Orchard and m going to finish it in spite of having to fight through bad prose and what seems to be a political screed. None of the characters are likable thus far and the married couple has relationship that makes me wonder if the author has made up his wife because that is not how married people act with each other. Maybe something will come up that explains it later.

The political thing, though, is killing my interest. I understand that authors have their own worldview and that worldviews will show up in their writing but I want that worldview to be represented naturally as part of the story. This reads as if he took the top 10 political talking points of the day and artificially inserts them into the story wherever he can. This is not a critique of the worldview, but how it is used; I would be just as turned off if was the opposite views but presented in the same way. If feels way too forced and it is off putting.

Edit: Oh, this prose…

I put the book down for the night when the farmer noted another character get in to his “big ass SUV” and drive away. I understand that when you write from a character’s point of view their use of language may be different, but Every. Single. Character. is written in the same voice and it is all the same immature and vapid voice that sounds like a teenager even though teenagers don’t talk like that.

Edit: Finished it. Hated it. 600 pages of terrible dialogue and even worse decision-making. Also, aside from the apple conceit, unoriginal and predictable.

3 Likes

61QLb6HGerL
Very good. It’s still amazing to me how arbitrarily some people qualify as Roman and some do not, and it’s especially telling who is still consistently a barbarian. The messy ‘end’ of the Western part of the Roman empire, and the successors to it.

1 Like