The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

Could use some recommendations from you fabulous people about what to watch next. Just finished The Gentlemen (after several of you reporting that it was good) and 3BP before that and liked both. Thank you very kindly.

1 Like

Have you seen Resident Alien? Wife and I both love that show.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t tried thatā€“Iā€™ll give it a look tonight. Thank you!

1 Like

Hopefully it works for you. Tried it based on my affection for Alan Tudyk and he knocks it out of the park. Itā€™s really more of a small-town dramaā€¦except for the random points where it intersects with the fact that heā€™s a shapeshifting alien.

3 Likes

Seconding Resident Alien, also Slow Horses, Station Eleven, The Bear, White Lotus.

2 Likes

Beef (Netflix)
The Bear (Hulu)

1 Like

For all my doubts upthread, completely won over by Yellowstone. Weā€™ve binged seasons 1-4, doing the streaming service shuffle (Netflix then Amazon) and have subscribed to YAFSS (Paramount+) to get season 5. Well, the first half of season 5, stop doing that itā€™s annoying.

Itā€™s beautifully shot, and the pacing is spot-on. You have to admire a program with the confidence to do nothing for 5 minutes but show you the cowboys being undramatically professional, just for a couple of character development lines at the end of the scene.

The protagonists are all still terrible people, but at this point you understand why and even sympathise. (Except Jamie. Jamie is a whiny asshole who is hopefully doomed). A little bit of me would be quite happy to drive the obnoxious developer guy to the Train Station to defend the fabulously filmed landscape. Also I would be quite happy to watch a spinoff featuring Beth being aggressively obnoxious to the deserving.

2 Likes

This is why I havenā€™t given this one a chance. I cannot stick with a show where I donā€™t like any of the characters. This is why I bounced on @OhBollox 's suggestion of White Lotus, which I tried a while back and just wanted all of them to be crushed by an asteroid.

Iā€™ve been tempted by Paramount+ if only for the Star Trek. But I keep waiting for the service to be bought by some bigger service and bundled into a streamer I already have. Schtreamerfreude.

which I tried a while back and just wanted all of them to be crushed by an asteroid.

Part of the fun.

First Episode of Sugar seems promising, but Iā€™ll tell you my final verdict when I am done with the series. Hope it does not get too bizarreā€¦

1 Like

So, second episode of Sugar is even better. I might not be a good reference, as Metacritic and Rotten T. seem to rate it only as slightly above average, but in my book, even if the rest of the series is meh, it wouldā€™ve been worth it still so far.

2 Likes

Sugar Episode 6 : I really dislike this twistā€¦. ( writing that in the hope if anyone is following as well, they share my concerns)

For all the hype behind it, I was decidedly underwhelmed by 3 Body Problem. There are some good sci-fi ideas at work that are let down by an entire cast of dull and unlikable characters. This one just didnā€™t grab me.

Weighing in on Fallout (Amazon Prime Video, now just as expensive but also new and improved with ads!) now that the semester has nearly ended and my assignments are turned in.

Required disclaimer about loving all things post-apocalyptic, nuclear war, yada yada. Also never played the Fallout games but am knowledgeable re the canon, backstory, etc.

I enjoyed it a lot. It was just campy enough in keeping with the theme, the production was well done, and I thought it was well acted. Love Walton Goggins, ofc.

Only quibble would be that I felt like the last episode was rushed, but clearly theyā€™ve planned on S2.

4 Likes

Three -Body Problem. I think it suffers in hopping around in time a little too much, but I like the cast (mostly), and I think their largely humdrum lives makes the story stand out better; having heavyweights like Jonathan Pryce, Benedict Wong, and Liam Cunningham on board is great, but the story notably suffers when dealing with the characters that are remixed from the book (typically using more than one character). Their bland attractiveness apart from the one who gets killed early on lol doesnā€™t help distinguish them, and TBP was a book that I felt was quite old-school, in that it led with its ideas rather than its powerful characterisation in the first place. Blanding them down a bit hasnā€™t paid off.

I also have to say, the CGI is fucking shit at times, which makes me wonder where all the money went, because it certainly didnā€™t go on sets either, now did it lads. I also note the reviews are calling it ā€˜sprawlingā€™ and ā€˜ambitiousā€™ when itā€™s not really either, particularly. Sprawling and ambitious for Netflix, I will grant you.

I could say more, but much like @biffpowā€™s review, it will be a long list of complaints about some of the genuine shit in it, finished off with ā€œI donā€™t like it has these flaws, but I like that it got made.ā€ Itā€™s a real shame itā€™s not better, but thatā€™s mostly nothing to do with the books.

2 Likes

Just finished the last episode of Sugarā€¦ I really liked the show, despite the twist in the middle of the season . One of the best things Iā€™ve watched this year. That I went to the series not expecting much and not having any prior knowledge what to expect, helped I guess.