The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

Hopefully they go mental by that point and the mavericks just fly a plane into the mothership in a determined suicide attack.

1 Like

Im glad OhBolloxs stepped back from their original impression of fallout and saw there might be something to it. Ive got a lot of respect for your opinions, but your original poor impression didnt vibe with the way the series left me feeling. I understand Mirefoxs concern about the mix of goofy and gravitas, but the games are very goofy and gravitas, so id say they nailed the source material.

As for 3BP. I want to love it, but itll take at least 4 seasons to see the story through, and ive no faith in netflix as they may just pull the plug when we’re invested in half the story

2 Likes

Regarding 3BP: I had no prior knowledge about the source material, and I loved the series as it is. Maybe it’s a classical case in which you won’t enjoy the adaptation if you’ve read the books.

I saw The Gentlemen series, which I also liked (but did not love) and I’ve started Manhunt, which seems promising (despite over-idealization of Lincoln)…

Next will be Ripley or Sugar… not sure yet

I think three storylines is two too many, and while it is goofy, that’s fine to a certain extent, as there had always been a jarring contrast between the wholesome 50s vibe of the vaults (some of them) and the horrific wasteland that the attitude created.

Not sure it all melds together that well, and I find the abduction of Kyle Maclachlan deeply uninteresting, unlike Ella Purnell’s character. She should be out looking for a water chip.

1 Like

Just started 3BP and am rather enjoying it; I read the books forever enough ago that I don’t recall the little details enough to contrast them with the show.

I absolutely loved The Gentlemen (Netflix) and hope they make a second season.

Need to finish Shogun but I’ve enjoyed the season so far.

2 Likes

Could use some recommendations from you fabulous people about what to watch next. Just finished The Gentlemen (after several of you reporting that it was good) and 3BP before that and liked both. Thank you very kindly.

1 Like

Have you seen Resident Alien? Wife and I both love that show.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried that–I’ll give it a look tonight. Thank you!

1 Like

Hopefully it works for you. Tried it based on my affection for Alan Tudyk and he knocks it out of the park. It’s really more of a small-town drama…except for the random points where it intersects with the fact that he’s a shapeshifting alien.

3 Likes

Seconding Resident Alien, also Slow Horses, Station Eleven, The Bear, White Lotus.

2 Likes

Beef (Netflix)
The Bear (Hulu)

1 Like

For all my doubts upthread, completely won over by Yellowstone. We’ve binged seasons 1-4, doing the streaming service shuffle (Netflix then Amazon) and have subscribed to YAFSS (Paramount+) to get season 5. Well, the first half of season 5, stop doing that it’s annoying.

It’s beautifully shot, and the pacing is spot-on. You have to admire a program with the confidence to do nothing for 5 minutes but show you the cowboys being undramatically professional, just for a couple of character development lines at the end of the scene.

The protagonists are all still terrible people, but at this point you understand why and even sympathise. (Except Jamie. Jamie is a whiny asshole who is hopefully doomed). A little bit of me would be quite happy to drive the obnoxious developer guy to the Train Station to defend the fabulously filmed landscape. Also I would be quite happy to watch a spinoff featuring Beth being aggressively obnoxious to the deserving.

2 Likes

This is why I haven’t given this one a chance. I cannot stick with a show where I don’t like any of the characters. This is why I bounced on @OhBollox 's suggestion of White Lotus, which I tried a while back and just wanted all of them to be crushed by an asteroid.

I’ve been tempted by Paramount+ if only for the Star Trek. But I keep waiting for the service to be bought by some bigger service and bundled into a streamer I already have. Schtreamerfreude.

which I tried a while back and just wanted all of them to be crushed by an asteroid.

Part of the fun.

First Episode of Sugar seems promising, but I’ll tell you my final verdict when I am done with the series. Hope it does not get too bizarre…

1 Like

So, second episode of Sugar is even better. I might not be a good reference, as Metacritic and Rotten T. seem to rate it only as slightly above average, but in my book, even if the rest of the series is meh, it would’ve been worth it still so far.

2 Likes

Sugar Episode 6 : I really dislike this twist…. ( writing that in the hope if anyone is following as well, they share my concerns)

For all the hype behind it, I was decidedly underwhelmed by 3 Body Problem. There are some good sci-fi ideas at work that are let down by an entire cast of dull and unlikable characters. This one just didn’t grab me.

Weighing in on Fallout (Amazon Prime Video, now just as expensive but also new and improved with ads!) now that the semester has nearly ended and my assignments are turned in.

Required disclaimer about loving all things post-apocalyptic, nuclear war, yada yada. Also never played the Fallout games but am knowledgeable re the canon, backstory, etc.

I enjoyed it a lot. It was just campy enough in keeping with the theme, the production was well done, and I thought it was well acted. Love Walton Goggins, ofc.

Only quibble would be that I felt like the last episode was rushed, but clearly they’ve planned on S2.

2 Likes