The Actual Table

That giant “WizKids” logo ruins the box cover, but this is excellent news for anyone who doesn’t own the game and doesn’t want to spend the money to pick up the OOP versions.

I have no idea what the game will actually be though. 2nd & 3rd editions were all FFG’s work, IIRC. So did they license just the name from GW, or the whole thing? Because if it’s FFG’s, then technically WizKids can put out the same game, but they’ll need to change all the text and art. Those ‘minis’ are just renders, and I think that box cover is just a placeholder.

I find the Third Edition borderline perfect, so changes would have to be significant - in a good way - for me to pick up a new edition. I don’t care as much about the painted minis, especially since my old HeroClix figures look like they were painted by a blind monkey; maybe WizKids has gotten better in the last decade, but I wouldn’t know. The only change I would like to see - but I can’t conceive how it could be done while retaining the gameplay - is somehow making the game shorter, as that is my only “complaint.”

2 Likes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1152516291/dual-powers-revolution-1917-a-board-game-for-1-2-p? - has caught my eye. Got to be easier to play than Triumph of Chaos.

2 Likes

I backed this as soon as I saw it. Was going to do a post about it today. :slight_smile:

It looks really cool. Perfect lunchtime game, too, at 45 minutes.

I have a gaming partner who I work with, so I’m loving these 30-45 minutes 2-player games now, when I used to avoid them because I didn’t have anybody to play with.

Edit: And I didn’t hear about Time of Crisis until after it was already in retail, so I was also a peasant. That’s not the case with the expansion, though. One of the first! Well, first 200, maybe.

But not always (Editor: They don’t call you King Snake-eyes for nothing).

Ha! I think I recognize your editor!

2 Likes

I think she’s moonlighting…

1 Like

Finally finished construction of the broken token shelves for Gloomhaven. Now to sort through the bazillion pieces and put them in the shelves.

And then sell the game, immaculately set up, for a queen’s ransom.

Or finally start my solo campaign.

4 Likes

For the first time I’m genuinely looking at a storage solution. Heroes Wanted currently juuuust fits the core box and four expansions, and as I plan to get the others, I’ll need a larger box to store it all in. I’m also considering something for Food Chain Magnate too.

After Quartermaster General and QMG 1914, I might just end up getting QMG: Victory or Death. They’ve exceeded my expectations completely.

1 Like

Considering picking up Hero Realms and The Ruins of Thandar campaign deck.

Has anyone else given it a try? Multiplayer and Solo?

Pretty sure I could get my wife to play that as she enjoys Legendary, Ascension, and Star Realms.

I’ve played Hero Realms and The Ruins of Thandar campaign with my 12 year old son. You will want/need the character packs for the Thandar campaign.

Both are really fun to play. I’ve also played Hero Realms with others in 2 and 3 player games. If you like Ascension and Star Realms then this would be a good fit (never played Legendary).

The campaign is not particularly long, but works well and there are way to modify it to make it easier or harder. We played through several times making it harder as we leveled up the characters. After the first play through we found the campaign to be easier than expected.

Maybe we are not playing the Thief’s power properly, but he is vastly overpowered. In a 2 on 1 game against the thief, the thief easily won.

There are also boss decks you can buy and a free Tibus boss. See https://www.herorealms.com/challenge/tibus/ for details about how to play Tibus. Tibus was a card in the Kickstarter, but you don’t actually need the card to play, just the rules and a way to keep track of his hit points.

1 Like

I have not played the campaign, but I really like the character packs for the base game. They add some asymmetry and flavor to each player’s starting deck.

Out of curiosity, did they ever implement anything like this in to Star Realms?

1 Like

I just picked up Century: Spice Road. I’ve only played one game, but my impressions are positive so far. The theme is rather bland, but the game looks nice. The Golem edition of the game looks much better, in my opinion, but the Century series (three games planned, I believe, all of which can interact in some way) is continuing only in the spice theme.

As far as gameplay goes, Splendor is a great comparison, but there is just enough more to Century that I like it more even though it is almost as simple to learn and play. You are engine building with the goal being to purchase the scoring cards (forgive me for not remembering what each card type is called), which cost certain combinations of spice, represented by cubes. What makes the game a great step up from Splendor are the action cards you can buy. The cards allow you, on your turn, to play them to take certain actions. These actions usually involve upgrading your cubes to better cubes or converting certain combinations of cubes into others. On top of that, once used, you need to take a “rest” action to take any back into your hand. The engine itself is much more interesting the Splendor. Splendor is just a snowball engine where your purchase power keeps getting bigger and bigger as you purchase more. Century actually makes you think about interesting, and sometimes complex, conversion programs. That said, the game is very light and can be taught to anyone.

My impressions so far are positive. I usually like these kind of games but then shelve them as their novelty wears off (Splendor and Machi Koro are collecting dust in my house). I think there is enough depth in this that if my wife continues to enjoy it, it may come out from time to time when we need a quick game.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I posted my New to Me - April 2018 board games post over on my blog.

Seven new games and a new expansion. Not bad overall.

And I know I made a lot of corny jokes in my previous blogging experience before coming to Stately Play.

But I think Dave’s rubbing off on me…sheesh!

Any new games this month for you?

1 Like

This is not something you should be happy about…

2 Likes

All familiar games for International Tabletop Day.

I think I won them all. Flamme Rouge, Terraforming Mars (2nd), The Expanse, Betrayal AHOTH, Survive! Escape from Atlantis, Arctic Scavengers, Trieste, Last Night on Earth (lost), Heroes Wanted, I won them all.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Anybody here played Ranger, from Omega games? I’ve got a birthday coming up, and it seems like I might have finally found a game the cats can’t ruin, because it has no pieces!

1 Like

Not played it but it looks like a good one. Let us know if you grab it.

I’m struggling to integrate expansions into core game boxes recently. Currently swearing at Flamme Rouge and Peloton. I don’t want to abandon the boxes altogether but may have to resort to tuff boxes and such. Especially for boxes I accidentally put my hand through (Terraforming Mars) which likely won’t hold up to further travel).