The Actual Table

My apathy for the source material has kept me from even glancing at the game. The books are mildly entertaining with mediocre writing and the show is mildly entertaining with mediocre…everything. I assumed the board game would be mildly entertaining with mediocre production.

Thomas Jane kept me watching the series. The books did not keep me interested because Holden is as thick as a whale omelette.

On the other hand, I can’t even read the word “Rocinante” without Cygnus X-1 starting up in my head.

3 Likes

And my latest acquisition!

2 Likes

Nice find! And nice hat, comrade Bollox.

1 Like

Looks the part! :slight_smile:

Nice-looking game.

I posted a Q & A with Bezier Games designer and publisher Ted Alspach yesterday. Suburbia has long been one of my favourite games.

2 Likes

Very nice! The 40th anniversary release of that album came out a couple months ago. It’s worth picking up for the vintage live performance and the cover songs.

1 Like

Oooh.

Didn’t even know that was a thing. Hm 80€ new? Naaaaw…I wouldn’t get anyone to play it with me either…

Playdek to the rescue!!!

…a man can dream? Just think of that statement above being uttered by James Hold… cough a very optimistic Whale Omlette :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Should be about half that. Out of stock or Amazon reselling methinks…

I wish I had $150 lying around and a few people to play this with…it sounds frankly like exactly what I want to get drunk and shout over.

That was a sloppy amazon.de search, amazon was out of stock and that was the lowest of the usual out of stock price-upping jerks wanted. Sure I could find it lower but yeah…nooone to play with…

Got in a couple plays of Oh My Goods with my wife, and that might be the perfect middleweight game for us.

Every game we were within a couple points of each other, and hit 8 buildings at the same time.

2 Likes

Played some carcassone and hive recently, but recently found out Tak became “real life”

Patrick Rothfuss first introduced TAK in the second installment of the Kingkiller Chronicle, The Wise Man’s Fear. However, the rules were not introduced in the book, because at the time there were none! Ernest and Rothfuss have brought TAK to life in an elegant two-player abstract strategy game reminiscent of classics like Go and mancala.

Havent had the time to play, but thinking about making a board myself (wood with copper inlay) and ordered the Wolf and Hawk capstones ( https://thetinkerspacks.com/products/tak-wolf-and-hawk-metal-capstones ) to give the developers something for designing this game.

Seems like a decent game, with an 8 at bgg.
More info: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197405/tak

Anybody played it and care to share opinions?

2 Likes

Interesting. I tend to assume that games in fantasy novels are merely Chess or Go with different names. For example, they play “Stones” in he Wheel of Time series, which I always envisioned as Go.

1 Like

Yeah. I was surprised when I noticed it became real. It was kinda like chess or go in my mind while reading the book.
Old game. Evolved in the years. Easy to learn, hard to master. Has the subtitel “A beautiful game”

It looks like it has been around forever when you see it. Easy to build a simple board yourself. Rules can be found on the internet. But it would be nice to buy something from the official site. A part of the earnings goes to charity if I am not mistaken. There is also a fan-made playtak.com page. Chess-like puzzles on the tak-reddit.
The game might become even more popular because there are plans for movies and/or a tv-series. I can recommend the book to. Too bad book 3 isnt finished yet.

1 Like

“A beautiful game” is a dumb tagline, but I am always interested in abstracts. Wonder how much of this one’s reputation stems from book fans. Read a couple of positive but somewhat vague reviews on BGG. The problem with comparing most abstracts to chess or go is that they have an infinitesimal number of plays by comparison, so their flaws and true depth are practically unknown. I’d be interested in a tournament if playtak.com allows invites and asynchronous play. It doesn’t work on my phone browser, so I haven’t been able to check it out yet.

1 Like

Played my 7th game of Terraforming Mars today, 3-player game. I was Credicor (or Credcor?), the one where you get a 4 megacredit refund whenever you do a project or play a card that costs 20 or more.

I pounded my megacredit production up to 33 by the end of the game, but was lagging behind on TR during the game. Ended up zooming back but lost 80-69 (third place was 60).

Then played a game of Sentient, a really awesome game of dice manipulation and area control from Renegade Games. I really like this game a lot.

1 Like

Played one of the new Ticket to Ride maps (the Old West) last night. It was actually really cool. When you put a route down, you can spend 2 of the same colour cards to put a station in one of the two cities (and you start the game putting a city down). All routes you take must be connected to one of your cities, so no jumping all over the map.

The conceit is that if you place a route connected to somebody else’s city, they get the points, not you. If there are two stations, then both players get the points (or one player gets double if they have both).

You still complete the tickets and get the points for those at the end of the game, but the in-game scoring may not go to you.

I ended up getting 72 points in tickets, jumping into first place ahead of somebody who had six tickets but failed one of his (I beat him by 4 points).

It was an interesting twist on the whole thing. When you’re taking extra tickets, you have to take into account whether any additional routes you have to build will be giving you points or not.

I also did my “New to Me” games for February on my blog, with a massive 8 games.

1 Like

This reminds me to get Peak Oil to the table some more.

It’s not as vicious as Sons of Anarchy or Argent, but it’s in that same league.