Stately Scrying: What we're playing this weekend

Thanks !

Funny, I own Breath of the Wild and hesitated to start it because I was afraid to get lost in a very long (and maybe boring) open world game again. I think I will give it a shot now, after what you said.

I thought I had open world fatigue until I played BotW. It turns out that I was just exhausted with the Ubisoft school of open world design. With time Iā€™ve come to regret ranking NieR: Automata over BotW in our GOTY rankings (but only a little)ā€¦ I think it might be one of my all-time favorites, considering how much I find myself thinking about it despite not having played it for about six months now. Tiny Cartridge (my other favorite gaming blog) just had a great article about some of the feelings the game evokes and I nearly started a new game after reading it. I really donā€™t mean to overhype it, I just think BotW does open worlds (and nearly everything else) better than pretty much any of its competition.

TL;DR: PP has feelings about OW games, a LOT of themā€¦

I am definitely not immune to the OW disease, having replayed every AC up to and including AC3 and finished AC:4, AC:R and AC:U as well as having yet another AC2 playthrough (including sequels) on the long bench. on top of that I finished every Yakuza up to 4 twice and have finished Y0 and Y6 recently. That did not prevent me from utterly destroying Horizon Zero Dawn and its DLC.

However, there seems to be a fatigue setting in on another level.
I loved RDR and finished GTA4 and GTA4LatD, however, I simply cannot go back to GTA3 and the other GTAs of the era.
Usually, I have no problem whatsoever on playing old ugly games, I am currently playing through FF12 and the .//Hack G.U. series plus some ugly SNES/ PS1 games, yet the older GTAs donā€™t capture me in any way at all. I blame the Car Controls in Rockstars GTA games. I hated them with a passion in GTA 4 and I havenā€™t played more than a few hours of GTA3 and GTA5 yet because of them stupid cars.

And this is coming from someone who is doing each and every little bit of boring content in MAD MAX currently, which is yet another OW gameā€¦with Cars in it. However, the car segments there are fun, like a hella lot of fun.

But I have to admit the massive time sink these OW games are do scare me a bit. Havenā€™t started Witcher 3 yet, or AC:S or AC:O, Watchdogs or Sleeping Dogsā€¦sighā€¦well at least for the last 2 I have the general excuse that they have cars in itā€¦
Thank god I am not interested in the Far Cry series (aside FC:Primal)ā€¦any more Ubification in OW games and even I would get a serious burnout syndrome.
Curious how I bounced of Elite:Dangerous and No Man Skyā€¦being an absolute sci-fi nerd I should really love the gamesā€¦but I believe the Choice (Analysis) Paralysis in that two games is simply too much for me.
Also the modern Fallout Gamesā€¦even good (?) story and narrative cannot get me to like these ugly brown mess they consider their world. And I usually rate that over gameplay and aesthetics.

Oh wellā€¦going back to playing Nier Automataā€¦riding around the open world (heh) on oversized Boars because the Moose still scare me to death! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like