Stately Scrying: What we're playing this weekend

BSG Deadlock has a very tidy after-action battle video exporter. Captures the show pretty damn well, with a very good approximation of that trademark track and zoom camera style.

2 Likes

One Deck Dungeon, though at the moment I don’t see at all how it’s possible to beat even the lowest boss on the easiest setting. So I have some learning to do. And Civ VI to fall back on.

3 Likes

I’m sure that none of you give two bits about my wanderings and wonderings,

Don’t think I’m alone in saying: not true!

Holiday week, so: Terraforming Mars, Food Chain Magnate, Clash of Steel, No Honour Among Thieves, Age of Thieves, Arctic Scavengers, Trieste, John Company, and Sherlock Holmes. Oh, and High Society, because there’s a gorgeous new edition. And I just ordered my own copy of Tyrants of the Underdark…

4 Likes

There should be a category for best offline games to play on an airplane, says a man who is flying to Peru in a few hours… South America is a really big country (joking, it is a real continent!) Mobile games are the only way I stay sane on some long flights, safe travels!

1 Like

Stay safe, enjoy the experience! My brain turns to custard on long flights and I end up crying at the most inane in flight films. Despite my best intentions I’ve often got the same iq as my inflight meal.

2 Likes

Does anyone have some insights regarding the PS4 Version of Spacehulk: Deathwing?

I usually try to go for Console Versions with shooty shooty pew-pew stuff, because it feels more natural with a controller and also like my TV more than my PC screen for that kind of stuff…

Strictly performance-wise is it ok? Or is it a low fps stutter fest? Also what are your experiences based on? PS4 lite (hua hua) or PS4 Pro?

I’ll be losing One Deck Dungeon games and keeping up with my Ascension and Star Realms turns on the iPad. Pocket Run Pool and maybe some TypeShift on my phone. Gems of War on both. And, hopefully, just one more turn of Tigris and Euphrates for the SP Decathlon so I can uninstall that game one last time.

I finally got to a boss in One Deck Dungeon and lost in the second round… Can I count that as a win?

Marvel Strike Force as my light, progress game. I have Battletech and slay the spire alternating on my PC, and whenever the kids pay attention I have to pop on Pokémon TCG for PC. “Can we open a packet Daddy” from all three means I might have to start trading again to keep up. 160 packs still around though…

Ascension, baby.

Thanks to you guys, I’m playing a lot of Slay the Spire.

My wallet hates you all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, a few games of One Deck Dungeon.

1 Like

Finally beat a boss in One Deck Dungeon. For avoidance of spoilers I will just say that each hero plays quite differently, so it’s worth trying them all…

I appear to be in a classic roguelike mood this weekend, so I’ve been playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup; navigating my gargoyle fighter through the Snake Pit and the Elven Halls, next stop the Vaults (where I fully expect to die). I was going to alternate it with some Civ VI, but so far the lure of the dungeon has been too strong…

1 Like

I finished God of War this weekend finally. Awesome game btw.
Tomorrow I’ll start „The Last of Us“, never played it before, and been on my backlog for very long. Curious to see what the hype is about.

1 Like

The new GoW, I presume?

Exactly.

The fighting is tight, graphics and music superb. Story is good, entertaining. Really enjoyed my time with it.

My only gripe was the open world structure. Though in this particular game it is not much, and the protagonists keep making interesting conversations while doing so.
The older I get, the more I just abhor spending my free time running around in a game, doing nothing but to get from one part of the map to another.

1 Like

I’m right there with you regarding open worlds. Breath of The Wild is probably the first open world game I’ve enjoyed since Grand Theft Auto 3, and there only because it was a fairly new concept. I like more linear games, for the most part. I thought Last of Us was great, so enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks !

Funny, I own Breath of the Wild and hesitated to start it because I was afraid to get lost in a very long (and maybe boring) open world game again. I think I will give it a shot now, after what you said.

I thought I had open world fatigue until I played BotW. It turns out that I was just exhausted with the Ubisoft school of open world design. With time I’ve come to regret ranking NieR: Automata over BotW in our GOTY rankings (but only a little)… I think it might be one of my all-time favorites, considering how much I find myself thinking about it despite not having played it for about six months now. Tiny Cartridge (my other favorite gaming blog) just had a great article about some of the feelings the game evokes and I nearly started a new game after reading it. I really don’t mean to overhype it, I just think BotW does open worlds (and nearly everything else) better than pretty much any of its competition.

TL;DR: PP has feelings about OW games, a LOT of them…

I am definitely not immune to the OW disease, having replayed every AC up to and including AC3 and finished AC:4, AC:R and AC:U as well as having yet another AC2 playthrough (including sequels) on the long bench. on top of that I finished every Yakuza up to 4 twice and have finished Y0 and Y6 recently. That did not prevent me from utterly destroying Horizon Zero Dawn and its DLC.

However, there seems to be a fatigue setting in on another level.
I loved RDR and finished GTA4 and GTA4LatD, however, I simply cannot go back to GTA3 and the other GTAs of the era.
Usually, I have no problem whatsoever on playing old ugly games, I am currently playing through FF12 and the .//Hack G.U. series plus some ugly SNES/ PS1 games, yet the older GTAs don’t capture me in any way at all. I blame the Car Controls in Rockstars GTA games. I hated them with a passion in GTA 4 and I haven’t played more than a few hours of GTA3 and GTA5 yet because of them stupid cars.

And this is coming from someone who is doing each and every little bit of boring content in MAD MAX currently, which is yet another OW game…with Cars in it. However, the car segments there are fun, like a hella lot of fun.

But I have to admit the massive time sink these OW games are do scare me a bit. Haven’t started Witcher 3 yet, or AC:S or AC:O, Watchdogs or Sleeping Dogs…sigh…well at least for the last 2 I have the general excuse that they have cars in it…
Thank god I am not interested in the Far Cry series (aside FC:Primal)…any more Ubification in OW games and even I would get a serious burnout syndrome.
Curious how I bounced of Elite:Dangerous and No Man Sky…being an absolute sci-fi nerd I should really love the games…but I believe the Choice (Analysis) Paralysis in that two games is simply too much for me.
Also the modern Fallout Games…even good (?) story and narrative cannot get me to like these ugly brown mess they consider their world. And I usually rate that over gameplay and aesthetics.

Oh well…going back to playing Nier Automata…riding around the open world (heh) on oversized Boars because the Moose still scare me to death! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like