Stately Scrying: What we're playing this weekend

Prey. Best Game of 2017.

It takes quite the special game for me to care about open world these days. It is a combination of overwhelming stuff (not necessarily depth, just more stuff) and lack of narrative structure. Iā€™d much rather play a linear game that is over in 5 hours if it is an amazing experience. Thatā€™s one reason I loved the Uncharted series. Zelda was a masterpiece and sucked me in, and Horizon was likewise rather amazing, but games like Fallout and Skyrim donā€™t hold my attention any more.

1 Like

That is my problem as well.
I am not all that much into the convoluted schemes in the Assassin Creedā€™s but much more into the history tourism in the depicted cities and timelines (yes they are only rose-tinted approximations of the real thing) so I could bear with some of the collection them all bs, and leave some behind.

But only to some degree. I am not an American who can marvel at GTAā€™s recreation of NY and LA (SF?) the story is not much to write home about so I had problems to beat GTA4 and Lost and Damned. Did abandon Ballad of Gay Tonyā€¦ I yet have to delve into GTA5ā€¦ the story isnā€™t my thing and I*'HATETHECAR*MECHANICS!

The thing is I am a sucker for lore and world building. Thats the reason I was interested in the Fallout-series to begin withā€¦but then when I booted up FO3 and now FO4 it just some mutant brown horrible looking thing here and some disgustingly big insect thereā€¦and stuff to collect - lots of stuffā€¦which collides with my "must collect everything even if I wonā€™t need it ever ā€˜OCDā€™-alike mentalityā€¦even if I am interested in all the appocalyptic world and the schemes behind the dozens of vaults I cannot keep up with the mechanicsā€¦and art design.
At least Skyrim has nice wintery scenery and dragonsā€¦
And then the settlement building minigameā€¦I am just 15 hours in FO4 and havenā€™t accomplished much more than unlocking the first three settlements and done 3 questsā€¦
If I could play 24/7 and would live for 200 years well then maybe but so?

Thatā€™s the reason as well I liked the Uncharted Series. And wasnā€™t all that bothered with the Open World Shenanigans of the two new Tomb Raider Games. Because they are reasonably short and focussed.

But even so. Horizon Zero Dawn had some pretty interesting side quests which were meaningful and helped to flesh the world out pretty much. Also, the ethics of the dev need to be applauded. The game has loot boxes but you CAN NOT buy them with real money. Only as random drops or with in-game currency. This game has exactly ONE DLC and it is pretty massive in scope if you are bothering with doing it for real. Meaningful side story and impactful rewards (armor/weapons) as well. I believe if I was (never) a story rusher who never bothers with collectibles and sidequests at all this game would have changed me. So I felt engrossed with a game world and had so much fun which I hadnā€™t had in 4-5 years (since Mass Effect 1-3)

I probably should stop with the fanboy-nerdgasm now. Also should finally bite the bullet and play Witcher 2 and 3. Would probably have done already if they had released W2 on PS3 or PS4 already :frowning:

1 Like

Iā€™d argue that Horizonā€™s DLC is an expansion pack in the traditional sense, which I have no problem with at all.

1 Like

I want to like this particular bit SO HARD. I finally realized that this is the principle reason I hate GTA when I played Saints Row 4. Same structure, but the game takes place in a simulation, so you can hack it to develop superpowers, IIRC. Most importantly for my enjoyment, you can get super-speed so you just ignore cars from then on. I found its humor uneven, but successful often enough that it, ridiculous design, and the joy of not driving made it a lot of fun.

Iā€™m really enjoying Fallout 4 when I can get to it. I think Iā€™m about 30-40 hours in, but the play has been so disjointed that I canā€™t remember (family room TV, so I really only play when Iā€™m home alone, which isnā€™t that often)

Just finished The Last of Us and the short expansion. Iā€™m not much of a zombie guy but story was good (but nothing original). The game mechanics and shooting were very fun for a 3rd person game.

Not sure what ps game to play next. I have Prey, Dishonored 2 expansion, and Bloodborne. Looks like Bollox had fun with Prey so Iā€™ll probably try that first.

On mobile, i got into the Fortnite Beta. Boy do I suck at that game. The controls are wonky, i suck at building stuff, i try to shoot but nothing happens, i donā€™t try to shoot and the gun goes off. Iā€™ve gotten a few kills here and there but there are some good players all decked out in crazy suits so imagine they have a lot of experience

I still need to do the Last of Us DLC and the new Uncharted 4 (standalone) DLC.
Are they worth the asking price? I liked both games but if it is a mere 3 hours romp it has to waitā€¦

The last of us dlc is very short. It came with the remastered version so it was free for me. I wouldnā€™t pay more than $5 for it. The uncharted dlc, the standalone with the 2 gals (i forget the name of it), was excellent and had a lot of content.

1 Like