Stately Scrying: What we're playing this weekend

The dynamic interests me because it puts emphasis on strategic deck building. The game doesn’t use any of the silly automatic resource mechanics of modern digital CCGs like hearthstone so deck building requires managing your resource curve, making sure you have your evolutions, and make sure you have tutor cards (that help you search for those cards you need).

The game isn’t as tight strategically as something like Magic and is susceptible to power creep or simply unfair elemental matchups, but matches are quick and if you’re getting punished, it’s wont be dragged out.

Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t masterclass design, but it is a better CCG than many give it credit for because of its theme and it does have some strategic depth. Plus, the digital version is fairly generous in giving out theme decks to play with.

1 Like

Probably time to re-evaluate Reno’s contribution. It saddens me that he’s remembered chiefly for his tireless work to popularise the headband, to the detriment of his cerebral insight.

1 Like

Good question! I’m still fending off iOS 11. Missing out on Civ 6 mobile is a big deal, but otherwise I have no regrets. I’d like to keep my iPad Air 2 on iOS 10 indefinitely, it runs well on 10. Maybe the kids will let me borrow their newer, spiffier tablets to play Civ on…

2 Likes

I wore a headband while I wrote this post in his honor.

I have no friends.

3 Likes

Maybe?

I’m sure those two things are coincidental.

1 Like

Ravenmark does indeed run on iOS 11–I downloaded it to my iPad. That’s impressive for an app that hasn’t been updated in 2 years. I might keep it on my iPad and see if it’s a little easier to get through on the large screen. The last time I played it, I’m pretty sure I was using a tiny iPhone.

I’ve also fallen deeply into Hitman again. That game has a ton of stuff I’ve barely touched, with Escalations that remix the environments and missions substantially. Beautiful Heath Robinson machine/game.