Stately Balls Of Steel

Yes. There are also people carrying an Xmas tree even though this episode of AD had nothing to do with Xmas.

One of the top comedies of all time!

1 Like

One of my goals with any new Pinball table is to set all the local high scores. I find that putting at least that much effort into a table will help me learn it well enough to know whether I like the table or not. Most tables are not too difficult to set local high scores in, but there are some I struggle with like Rome or Archer. Some tables have higher built-in local scores like AVP or Deadpool (what a troll). Outside of Deadpool, I think The Last Jedi has the highest built-in local scores, with the highest being 100M. This suggests to me that it is an easier table, which may have already been confirmed here, though I have yet to break the 20M mark.

I’ve only played a couple games so far, and I should read the table guide, but my initial feeling is the top level is a waste of a lot of table space, and makes for a not very interesting table.

1 Like

Farsight’s licensing agreement for Bally/Midway/Williams tables is expiring. 60 tables will be gone after June. That’s a huge chunk of their library. I’m guessing they will focus on their Stern license for future releases though their release schedule for new tables has gone off a cliff. Not sure what their future plans are.

My local pinball place finally reopened! They must have a dozen tables in there, although bride of pinbot is conspicuously missing much to my distress.

In the mean time I’ve had a bit of a play on getaway, because my boy thought the car one looked cool. He thought it was even cooler when I got a multiball on my first play, so I’ll be playing that one again.

I lasted all of 60 seconds on the Addams family, its rather aggressive draining won’t be taking many more of my tokens.

Finally I got on the twilight zone table (my brain insists it’s the twilight struggle table every time I think about it). I had a good blast on that one and will be going back to that one for sure. I’ll probably look up some kind of board guide or see if it’s on one of the pinball apps

2 Likes

Zen just released three new tables from the Han Solo movie. I’ll come back with impressions once I have a chance to play them a bit.

In other Zen news, Zen acquired the Ballys and Williams licenses, which is interesting. I wonder how they will incorporated real life tables given that their physics model is much more arcadey.

Finally, sorry for not keeping up with the biweekly tourneys. I knew I would falter, but that was a pretty quick tournament death.

1 Like

It was fun while it lasted!

1 Like

The new Solo table feels very uninspired. Sure, there are graphics and cutouts of the major characters from the movie, and the Falcon in its original configuration sits front and center, but there isn’t much special about the table. The layout is nice but the table is little more than ramp or orbit shots. There are a couple modes that darken the table, which is kind of neat but not amazing. Audio callouts are pretty bad. The music is excellent…but it is from Empire Strikes Back, not Solo. There are worse tables, but there are also better. I’ll be trying the Lando table next.

I’m holding out hope that they’ll do the Star Trek: TNG table at some point now that they have the Williams license. They mentioned that licensed tables like TNG and Twilight Zone weren’t out of the question when they got the license. Having all those tables along with all the digital original tables already in Zen and in a format that actually works (unlike PA, which loses my tables about 33% of the time) would be amazing.

1 Like

Yes, but I am skeptical if he Williams tables will be in Zen/Pinball FX. Since, I assume, the will need a different physics engine, I wouldn’t be surprised if all of Zen’s real-world tables are in a separate app.

Sorry I let this die; I had a feeling I wouldn’t be able to keep up.

Is anyone interested in another high score challenge while the world is in lockdown? I’d simply propose we pick a Zen Pinball table and play it monthly, with the first going until the end of April since March is close to wrapping up. We can, of course, talk about tables and post other scores as well.

Anyone interested and do we have any table suggestions?

2 Likes

Any table take your fancy?

I’m down.

Nothing in particular, but the zen originals tend to be my least played. Marvel is probably my second least played, in general.

I am going to revive this in a limited capacity; I think I was way too overly-ambitious the last time around.

The new rules are thus:

As long as I remember, I will post a new table at the start of each month. If interested, post your high scores for that table and I will post each month’s winner at the top of this thread.

As we are starved for options at this point, our tables will likely come from Zen. Pinball Arcade lost most of their licenses and I don’t know how well the game works any more. Zen’s Williams app is an IAP nightmare, but if anyone has any favorites there please let me know.

If there is a table you’d like in the rotation, please let me know.

To kick off 2021, we are playing Portal for the month of January.

1 Like

I finally managed to finish one of the quests. I’ve also been trying the ratman mini table. Of course every time it wants me to hit the beans ramp, I can only hit the cup ramp…every time it wants the cup, then I can hit beans all day.

Also I’ve got major draining problems on the main table. Have to get those kickbacks up ASAP

I do not have many problems draining, but I haven’t been able to complete a mission yet. They sure don’t give you enough time. My aim always seems to be slightly off on this board as well. I feel your pain with the mini tables, for sure. Also, I fail the top cross shot about 95% of the time. This seems a good table but I haven’t gotten the hang of it yet.

I think I found my first go to mission, which is mission 6. It requires 2 out of 3 easy loops, then you hit the mission hole. Then you hit 2 out of 3 easy loops again (timed) then the top deck cross ramp with the upper right flipper. A pretty easy shot for me, as I’ve been doing regularly all game.

I just tried mission 3 and I got as far as the dreaded mid left flipper cross ramp. I might leave that mission to last in future.

I haven’t played Zen Pinball in awhile but if I remember correctly, a good strategy to keep your kickbacks lit is to start the turret mission (3rd or 4th one). It’s a multiball with a very generous timed ball save when the mission starts. So I just intentionally drain my balls (:grin:) while the ball save is lit which kicks them back over one of the inner outlanes. To light up the kickbacks all you need to do is light all the outlane lamps. Use the flippers to shuffle the lights so that the balls run over unlit lamps.

2 Likes