Review: Race for the Galaxy

Added it to the RftG friend code thread. Created a game for us as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doesn’t appear as if you can see more than 6 friends… or am I missing something?

Tap the little arrow on the right side of the box.

1 Like

Ah, thanks!

“San Juan in space” is even closer.

1 Like

Actually the choice is made for you. Trying to buy RvI brings up a screen saying that owning GS is mandatory.

Thanks for the noob impressions @geigerm and @Snotty128

I will probably pick it up, though something turns me off about it, I can’t say what. I bounce off most games I play pretty hard, even when they are good (e.g. I won the first game of Ghost Stories I ever played, then didn’t play again).

I would like a nice play video, though I doubt it would be that entertaining to watch.

It’s probably that it starts out (for most players) as multiplayer solitaire. It’s so easy to laser-focus on your set-up, and to feel like there’s nothing you can do about the other guy, that it seems like you’re actually playing a solo game.

It’s a fair complaint, but things usually start to get better when you gain enough experience to really examine the other guy’s set-up and start screwing him/her over as much as possible.

Or … it could be that you think the game sometimes plays itself. Which, honestly, isn’t that unfair.

1 Like

Nah, it’s not that, at least for me. It’s probably the choice of action. I’m not big on choosing a role each turn as a mechanic. This isn’t exactly like that, but somewhat.

The nearest thing I’ve played is Le Havre, which I bounced off so hard I left a crater and a mass dinosaur extinction. Might give RftG a go though, given the enthusiasm.

I am also not sure I’d like to take the risk of buying the game. The games mentioned to compare RftG with (San Juan, Puerto Rico, Le Havre) aren’t games I enjoy. Too Euro for my taste, too much “Spreadsheet”, too complex to be enjoyable for me.

Nevertheless I’m very happy about a good boardgame port, especially from a new developer. I hope they have enough success with it to make more.

I just wanted to say that this game is great. I like San Juan, which this has been compared to, better than Puerto Rico. This game just adds so many additional strategies and goals it is fun to play the variations. I’ve not had an opportunity to play a military strategy, yet. Hopefully I’ll have a hand that provides that opportunity. And someday I’ll decide to play the hard AI.

I like the two player expert option to choose two actions each turn. I feel I’m able to link actions together to get more done.

I can see where the expansions add a lot, and have played them a little with Stately Players that have them. I’ve not bought the expansions yet, but they are on the radar.

So what’s everybody’s favourite player count?

I know one or two people who prefer 2-player only. What about others? I’d like to start some other games but would like to keep a good player count to keep people happy.

FWIW, I don’t think it’s much like Le Havre. Then again, I loathe Le Havre with the heat of a thousand suns, so maybe I’m more biased than I realize.

San Juan, yes. Very similar. Not a big surprise, considering the design history of both games.

I like 3 player better than 2. But I will play 2 player (advanced) no problem.

I know everything is already been (awesomely) said about the game but…I need someone that sells the game to me :stuck_out_tongue:

For some reasons I skipped it when it first came out because I’m not too fond of euro games (especially with hidden VP, but doesn’t seem the point here) but I LOVE card games and scifi.
I’m pretty full of card games at the moment and I’m still playing and loving Age of Rivals like mad…but I saw a video of this game the other day and was really intrigued…turns seem fast but there is depth and I like a lot the general look.

Are my worries misplaced and should I buy it immediately?

(My fav card games at the moment, for reference, are: Age of Rivals, Star Realms, Magic Duels, Card Thief, Miracle Merchant beta, in no particular order).

I’d compare RftG more to a Puerto Rico or San Juan type game, just with a sci-fi theme, in that the cards are both used for tableau building and as currency. The vanilla game was (rightly) criticized as being a little bland and multiplayer solitaire’ish, but with the expansions it really opens up. There’s a lot of interplay between cards, different victory paths, and the app is very well done. My one complaint about the game is that you can get unlucky in your draws and end up with cards that do nothing for each other, but that can be said of any game of this type.

tl;dr - it’s a great game, you should get it :smile:

Thank you.
Never played Puerto Rico or San Juan (never been attracted by the themes) so those do little for me.
I like you can decide with a glance (a long one, mind you) to your hand, generally I REALLY like games like those (Elder Sign is probably my favorite digital boardgame ever).
I don’t mind luck too.

Hmmmmmmm…I’ll wait tonight if anything massive comes up, then I’ll buy it.

1 Like

One thing that I like about this game is that unlike some euro games where the theme is pasted on, this theme actually makes sense in an abstract way. I personally think that the 4x elements (other than exterminating) really do shine through. All through simple action selection, you really can explore, expand, and exploit. It is certainly no Twilight Imperium, but the theme makes sense.

Thanks everyone…diving into the tutorial as we speak.
Liking what I’ve seen so far.

1 Like