Real Life Admin

I somehow did not know you lived in Rochester–I lived there for several years while I was teaching at RIT. Very under-rated city–really liked it there and the surrounding little towns and drives are nice too. Never got tired of the Eastman House and had some nice coffee places to hang out too.

@Baelnor the most important thing to know about Niagara Falls is to stay on the Canadian side. The US side is pointless and sort of seedy. The Canadian side is beautiful, clean, and has other attractions aside from the Falls themselves.

I have never been to Disney anything, not as a kid (we didn’t have the means) or as an adult. My kids are (so far) not huge Disney fans (nor is my wife), so this may be something we can dodge. Harry Potter World, on the other hand, is on the list, once my daughter (1) is a little older. I’m perversely hoping the backlash against JK Rowling becomes so strong that people start boycotting those parks, so we can go when it’s much less crowded. I’m also wondering how long it will take Disney to start constructing a new park in a state that isn’t Florida.

3 Likes

We did Universal Orlando last summer primarily for Harry Potter. We went on a Thursday/Friday and the crowds were markedly different on both days. We were able to do pretty much everything we wanted in both parks over those two days and didn’t feel like we missed out on anything. I honestly had a far less stressful (and financially ruinous) time at Universal than I did as Disney a few years earlier.

2 Likes

I also lived in Rochester for almost a decade. Really liked living there. I would not have moved if I thought I could keep avoiding Kodak layoffs (went through 9). A different kind of press your luck game.
The city are surrounding area is beautiful with plenty to do.

Went to Disney last summer. It was a big family thing and my wife and I were not excited about going. It was better than we were expecting. Only spent 2 days in the parks, Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. We “drank around the world” at Epcot; well, really just had a few drinks. The advance pass, or whatever it is called, is well worth it. Even if you don’t like it. It is the system.

Loved the Soaring ride at Epcot and the new Guardians of the Galaxy indoor roller coaster was amazing.

Have fun!

3 Likes

@Baelnor, I’m curious what you’re planning in Connecticut, as I grew up in the southeast corner of that state and was not aware we had anything worth visiting as part of a vacation.

2 Likes

Hey thanks!

Connecticut - wife has friends there, so it is more of a visit for 4th July than anything else.

On Disney / Universal - might have over committed - 5 days at parks and then 3 days at universal. After this trip I don’t think we will ever need to do theme parks again :slight_smile:

Niagara Falls - gotcha! We have accom booked for Canada side :slightly_smiling_face:

Rochester, will totally check it out!

Lastly, anyone have experience with GenCon? I think it is a 3-4 hour drive from my house. Is it good?

3 Likes

Ahaha, Chicago basically never gets hit with those. Now we just had two go on either side of us here in Iowa City a couple weeks back, and they did some damage, but they were just EF-2s. In Chicago you are fine. The sirens went off once in the decade I lived there (other than the monthly tests) and it never even got close to the city that I know of.

Oh, I see you’re not actually in the city but rather substantially north (one of my pet peeves from when I lived there: all the exurbanites who said they were “from Chicago”). I used to work in Evanston. I still don’t think you’re at any real risk of tornadoes up there.

lol, not on the north side. Chicago(land) is one of the most segregated metropolitan areas in the US.

Not at all strange. Steve Randy Waldman had a recent post about this that’s worth reading (as is the one he links at the beginning):

3 Likes

I am in London on business all of next week. I have a day and a half on the end to do see stuff (I have actually never been to London.)

I do plan to spend a half day at The Tate Modern, as I have always wanted to go there.

So that leaves one day, what are the must do once if you are in London things? The Tower of London?

1 Like

I lived in london for a decade and never went to the tower. I regret it now. Maybe someone else can say if it’s worth it

My first suggestion would be Tate modern! To link those two together, I’d go Tate modern, outside is a pedestrian bridge called the millennium bridge (aka the wobbly bridge, though it doesn’t wobble anymore). Walking across one of the Thames bridges would be my second thing I’d suggest to do in london, so that gets that done too.

From there it’s literally a straight walk up a small hill to St Paul’s cathedral. It’s like two blocks walk from the end of the bridge? Then quite close to st Paul’s (turn right when you’re at St Paul’s) is mansion house tube station, which will take you to tower hill. I expect there’s a bus that does the same route if you wanted to stay on the surface.

Speaking of buses, it’s probably be worth traveling somewhere on top of a double decker bus, just to have done it and watch some of london go by. I could have a dig and look at routes if you’re interested or if someone with more current knowledge doesn’t chime in.

You can probably get a one day travel card for travel on all public transport which will save you money and make your life much easier not having to buy tickets for every trip. Again, I’m not sure the current best way to do this.

Anyway, have fun!

2 Likes

I have been to the tower, it is pretty cool!

I love the churches and the history - it is no wonder they had so much influence, they would have been godly back in the day when peasants had nothing.

Literally every where you go is history of some description!

1 Like

Everything @snotty128 said is good. The nice thing about a short time is that you know you can’t see everything. So, my suggestion is is go to the British Museum, admire the building and only look at the loot exhibits that interest you. I would go for the Parthenon marbles, which are breathtaking, and the Rosetta Stone. Go to the Tate for the Ambassadors and call it a day and admire Trafalgar Square.

Yes to the Tower, and also take the chance to walk across Tower Bridge.

For an expensive but elegant drink, go to the Gōng bar in the Shangri-La hotel in the Shard, on the 52th floor with views that justify the prices. If we ever go back to London, I will remortgage just to stay in the Shangri-La.

4 Likes

I will be travelling to the US next month and will have a free day in Boston.

Any recommendations as to what I should see and do in Boston on a summer Sunday? My hotel is in Fort Point, apparently, so looks reasonably well located for getting places.

1 Like

We are in Orlando for 10 days right now. Staying in a 2 bedroom villa directly between the Universal parks and the Disney parks. We just finished 2 days at the Universal parks and let me just say Velocicoaster might be the best roller coaster in the world. Not that I have been on every roller coaster in the world, but holy moley is that a good coaster.

Ok, 4 Disney parks this week between now and Sunday with some rest days in there also.

4 Likes

How hot is it down there?

We are headed there on Boxing Day so as to avoid the intense heat

Rest is for the weak.

1 Like

God speed and all.

We did Disney last December for a week, a park each day and Universal on Friday for Harry Potter. Stayed in Animal Kingdom, which was probably the best part of the trip.

I’ve never spent more to be miserable. It would literally have given me greater satisfaction to buy a brand new mid-size fully loaded sedan and light it aflame in my driveway; honestly, I would probably have spent less on the Camry.

People rave about the food, but I’m certain they’re not from NJ/NY metro area.

Almost got arrested in Orlando airport for arguing with TSA. Mind you, I’m a COP.

5 Likes

No clue what weird holiday that is :wink: but Google tells me it’s around Christmas - shouldn’t be too bad. When we went it was shorts and a t-shirt during the day, jeans and a sweatshirt at night.

Boxing Day is a great holiday! :stuck_out_tongue:

And shame on you, being a cop and giving TSA a hard time. LOL

What were you arguing about?

Yeah, I remember you saying that you did not enjoy it. I have never heard anyone talk about the food, and it is fine - but as you said I am from the tri-state area and I chase Michelin Stars, so this food is fine, but not something to rave about.

We are having a good time though, although we may get interrupted by a hurricane.

1 Like

The inefficiency of the security procedures there and how, despite arriving at the airport three hours in advance, I would potentially miss our flight because of their sheer ineptitude, thereby being stuck in the particular hell that only Florida can be for all the rest of my days.

5 Likes

We thought since we are in the US we had better do the classic US things - and maxing credit card debt to go to Disney seemed like on of those :wink:

We must be doing something similar to you - 5 park days, 3 universal days and a couple of breaks. Staying in art of animation and some universal hotel I can’t recall.

Hope you are having fun and let me know if you see any Lorcana in the shops! Apparently that is there now…

1 Like