OPERATION EX-LAX; Or: Clearing out the backlog

That is true…it is also a great way to justify an unplayed truckload of steam sale purchases cough

Finished TERRANIGMA yesterday. One of the very few SNES Classics PAL territories got over US NTSC back in the day (ENIX US office folded - Nintendo published it in EU).
It was the “final” Quintet game and boy did they know how to make a bittersweet ending, emphasis on the BITTER!

On topic, a couple of years ago I vowed to try toppling the Backlog via the “only one game per system played at the same time” doctrine.
Which (despite the number of systems and platforms I own) worked quite well for a time. Over time my resolve weakened (too many new shiny things and releases) which lead me to the current state of affairs.

I reset the stance anew. And it worked yet again. Terranigma took me 25 hours to complete (even discarding 1-2 hour side content) which is a respectable clock time for a SNES RPG in my books.

Now to the gruesome process of choosing the next game to play on my SNES classic mini.

blows of tons of dust

In the last year, I made some (noticeable) progress on my neverending pile of shame. Since my attempt at a full franchise run of all the single-player Final Fantasies has run into a roadblock (yet again) I was getting pretty sad at losing my JRPG cred pretty soon. Square doesn’t make them JRPGs like back then. Even worse not only Square, but other Japanese studios also tried to chase the triple-AAA-graphics-over substance-bandwagon (or even worse the life-service bandwagon, yikes).

In comes the “Trails” (not “Tales of”) game series by a small/medium-sized “old-school” Japanese studio Falcom. It is a series where there is an overarching plot while some smaller arcs can be played “out-of-context” if you simply must. Well, I did not.
Since October 2022 I now have played the first (lol) 9 games of the series to completion. So at least 9 JRPGs fewer on my Backlog, and I loved every minute of the ~900 hours of that journey…now what else happened in the gaming landscape in the past 15 months? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It is pretty ironic when I shudder in fear before Persona 5 and its 100ish-hour playtime while I romp through that series like a madman :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes