Gaming with Kids

Hmm. Maybe Dice Throne? Anyone played that?

Well, my son is 10, and seems like Unmatched is a great fit for him. He’s learning strategy, but I can choose matchups which let him indulge his biases, too. Dude loves to hoard.

I’m not sure it would’ve worked well for him at 5 or 7. Splendor and Tokaido were favorites back then. Well, and Crossbows and Catapults, of course, but that’s not really fair.

I was at Pax Unplugged last week and was looking for good games for my 7yo. While we have not played them yet, as they are getting ready to be wrapped and placed under a tree, I picked up Sleeping Queens and Ticket to Ride Junior.

1 Like

Thanks! We have ttr junior on the I devices and it isn’t too bad. I can’t stand it, but the kids love it!

We pulled out Monopoly Deal as a family tonight, that still remains a solid pick!

1 Like

6 has not taken to playing video games but does like watching certain ones. Finally finished her first game with a plot, Saturday Morning RPG. She’s also been enjoying PokĂ©mon Red on the Super Game Boy. Just went through the Safari Zone and now it’s on to Cinnabar. Taken a few months since we only play a few minutes a day, and that mostly on weekends. Pondering EarthBound for her, though I may also see about getting Let’s Go or Sword for her to try out as well.

I have the Dice Throne S2 characters. I personally love the game. My son struggles with competitive games because he hates losing so it is tough to gauge his reaction to this one, but it is a great looking game with simple but fun mechanics and definitely works with kids as long as they can read. Beware that it is an awfully expensive game, though, if you want to get it all.

I finally found a copy of Ticket to Ride First Journey and had it under the tree. We played it last night and my 7yo AND non-gamer wife both loved it so much we played like 10 games. Big hit in board gaming last night at the house.

6 Likes

Not to be the guy that makes tells you you need more, but I don’t think it is very well known - there is a Europe map as well. I think it comes packaged with the game, so it will cost you just as much, but if you do get some good miles out of the game and want a new board, you can find it on Amazon.

2 Likes

Just got Zombie Kidz Evolution as a Christmas gift for my 9 year old son. Lighter fare than what he is used too, but he really liked finally being able to play a Legacy game of his own. As a coop game with no hidden info, that would work with younger kids down to 5-6 years old I’d think.

2 Likes

We just played our first game of Minecraft: Builders & Biomes and it went over really well. I thought there were some interesting decisions to be made. My only issue was that my son decided to go for a “fight everything” strategy and wasted a ton of turns not killing his targets but still won; monsters seem to give a great deal of points compared to careful planning on your board. Then again, perhaps if I had just fought one more monster instead of building one more bridge I would have gotten the points I needed /shrug. Only time will tell of the game is balanced, but it is certainly fun.

1 Like

In addition to Ticket to Ride First Journey, I picked up Sleeping Queens at Pax Unplugged. We played it yesterday, and my daughter has declared “it is the best game ever!” and now refers to herself as The Dragon Queen, as she has been very effective at blocking nights with dragons.

1 Like

I agree on sleeping queens. Watched my 5 year old twins teach their Gran yesterday. Was beautiful to hear them repeat the rules, the strategy and understanding of the game!

Proud gamer dad moments.

4 Likes

can’t edit, which makes me sad
nights = knights

My wife got us Red7, and my 6yo (nearly 7) has really taken to it. (She also likes Dragonwood, Uno, and Roam)

3 Likes

Uno was really popular here until we got Sleeping Queens, that takes up all of the Uno playing time now.

1 Like

I put Santorini under the tree for my 5 yo and that’s gone quite well with both kids. The fact they have the tight basic rules (no powers), and then the 4-player variant really means we should get good mileage out of this one. The kids are begging to include the advanced power cards in our next game.

4 Likes

Possibly not gaming-based, but I have a question for those of you with kids and a bit of technological knowledge. My son is 7 and I’m going to have him help me build a PC. During my research, I discovered Raspberry Pis and am curious if any of you have any experience using them with kids? Is there any reason it might make for any kind of better learning experience or education/entertainment platform than a full-blown PC? Thanks for any input. I’m building the PC irregardless but am considering the Raspberry Pi just for him.

I have never used Rasberry Pi setups with kids, only solo. But if you’re already at the stage where you’re going to build a PC (which I’ve also never done with kids, only solo), then you should have no trouble with that. The Pi, at this stage, is easy to build and program, and it’s basically a small system board, so it can be used in a variety of different ways, to control things online, around the house (rather than sit on a desktop, for example) or even create toys with.

There are a lot of books out now about Pi setups, so you might just want to go to your local big chain bookstore and peruse some of those to get some ideas or read some reviews online. In fact, there’s this: https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Kids-Dummies-Richard-Wentk/dp/1119049512 though that says it’s for 10 and up. But if you’re going to build a PC with him, I don’t see an issue.

2 Likes

Not really a game, but a neat device that my kids love - Sphero Specdrums. Basically, it is a soundboard app connected to a little electronic ring that recognizes color. They can tap the ring on any color to play the sound associated with that color. The soundboard itself is highly customizable with hundreds of sounds and loops. I believe you can use the app without the physical product to either test it out or make your own music on your mobile device. My son is very interested so far, and anything that piques his interest in any STEM or arts skills is a win in my books.

2 Likes

Had a little date with the 6 year old while Mom and the 3 year old were at the doctor and picking up prescriptions and pizza, and decided to try her on actual Monopoly (well, the Frozen 2 version) instead of their well-loved Disney Princess Monopoly Jr. She did great overall; we didn’t worry about trading or auctions but otherwise it was a proper Monopoly experience, extended length and all. And she absolutely creamed me, with her hotel/castle on the Frozen equivalent of Baltic and Mediterranean.

1 Like