Gaia Project Supernova 🔆 Trophy League

I would love to jump on the list and keep trying this game… starting to understand a little more

Welcome, @kennfusion and @Baelnor!

next title match will be:
Jamma
Hardco
JMH.75
geigerm

JMH.75 is still busy with the Decathlon Gaia match, so we’re on a hold.

the next Qualifier match will be:
(the first two players will qualify for the next title match)
Schlotzky
jason1002
doublebullout
@kennfusion

jason1002 and doublebullout are still busy with Decathlon Gaia matches, so we’re on a hold here too.

on the waiting list for the next Qualifier match:
@Baelnor

should anyone of the mentioned busy players have no problem to play more than one Gaia game we could as well start the respective game(s).

so please @JMH.75, @doublebullout and @jason1002, send a short note if this is ok for you. but don’t feel obliged.

No problem to play an extra game of Gaia.

great! so i will start the next title match.

I’m OK to start the qualifier game if @jason1002 is ready. Our Decathlon game is about to start round 2, so it may be a bit before it finishes.

Our decathlon game is round 4 and I think I can handle another Gaia game.

good news! so @jason1002, can you please start the Qualifier game with settings:
Shuffle Players
Turn Order by Passing
Delay Passive Power Charging
Faction Auction (“Players choose their Faction” is automatically included in this)

the “Last Player rotates Sectors” isn’t really needed when having a faction auction.
it’s meant as a balancing tool for the disadvantage of going as last player.
but as “starting player positions are also tied to particular factions” determining the player positions for the first round is part of the auction too.
and for placing effective bets it’s important to know the board layout.

[for the just started title match the “rotate sectors” option is activated and we must come along with it. but from now on it will be deactivated in all games.]

Faction Auction explained in detail is a very recommended read.

Right now my preference is just bid zero on all of them and see what I get. It’s a surprise when I don’t get the same race that I put forward in the auction…

I did the same, and in the new game, that is what everyone did.

No, I bid higher on the Nevlas and Xenos. 4 pts and 2 pts respectively. I got the Nevlas.

hmmm, but I did not see any reduction in score for that? Should you have had to pay for those?

It shows what I bid in the Log, and the auction results. Maybe I will pay for it at the end of the game – not sure.

no, would be shown right now in the scoring table.
if no one else has bid any money you will get your nominated choice uncontested.
the bid is only a declaration of your willingness to spend the offered amount of money if it must be.

I don’t like the auction system, it’s not fun.

1 Like

every player has the chance to get the best faction. and it’s fast. just one bid.
and player sequence of starting round isn’t random but decided by the auction too.

“The starting turn order is tied to the factions themselves, so the first
faction listed in the auction will be the starting player after the auction is over.”

not only the starting player is decided but the whole sequence of all involved factions.
you want to be starting player at all costs? just bid on the leftmost faction.

without an auction in Terra Mystica to have only the 4th faction pick can really be a severe disadvantage.

well, we are through with it, and it didn’t hurt.
btw @geigerm, it’s your second turn in the first round.

My problem is that by the time I got to select a race, the two I wanted most were not available. Now certainly that would be the case if we were just taking turns picking races and not doing the auction. But in this case, I now have to select a race for auction regardless, so sure, I picked the one that I would have picked if we were just picking. But that race was not one I thought was worth bidding VP on, so why would I? I think the two best races for our end game scoring had their opposites picked so were locked out.

This left me with the choice to not really bid on anything.

It’s just not a good system, because while it might fix some problems, it creates new problems.

you could have placed bids on one or both of the factions you wanted most.
so you would have had a good chance to get one of those.
a big advantage over the normal procedure of simply picking factions in random order.

deciding on how much you are ready to pay is a nice challenge imho.

[excerpt from log] <JammaTal bid 7, 6, 3, 5 for Ambas, Terrans, Ivits, Gleens>
as you can see i tried to express my realistic assessment of faction values.

there is no need to hold back because you will have to pay only for one faction, and only when it is contested at all. if not you will get it for zero anyway.
and you will always get your personal “best value deal”.
the link i had posted above is really essential for understanding the concept.

would be very interesting to play out some test auctions with after-action-analysis.
the games could be aborted then.
but wait, would that hurt the karma?

Hello @geigerm, notifications not working for you?
you have timed out in both of your regular turns so far, and i’m starting to worry if you might go on this way.