Film; or The Silver Screen

This is more down to the strength of Sabotage than the film:

2 Likes

That was a cool mix.

Since Star Wars was brought up, Iā€™m just going to say that I was a child of the 80s. I grew up with everything Star Wars and have loved it my whole life. That said, I know exactly what Star Wars is - a popcorn space opera. I havenā€™t written tomes of fan fiction and I donā€™t expect the writers and directors to follow the scripts that I have in my head. Therefore, Iā€™ve enjoyed the new movies and Iā€™m looking forward to Solo - again because I understand what Star Wars is.

I somehow convinced my wife to watch Last Jedi with me last night and while it isnā€™t a perfect movie, I like it. What I love, though, and could never get enough of, are the absolutely stellar music cues, especially later in the movie. Like/Leiaā€™s Theme when the two meet; Binary Sunsets near the end with Luke; etc. Casual fans might not pick up on those things, but the music is masterful.

Iā€™m an original trilogy man. Anything aside from that, I just donā€™t understand. The Solo film looks about as challenging as an Obama biopic with Channing Tatum playing Obama.

1 Like

I have come to appreciate certain aspects of the prequels. Lucas was trying a new direction, and even if theyā€™re more or less failures I respect that.

1 Like

I just canā€™t get past the writing in the prequels. My wife and I bought both the original trilogy and prequels as gifts for my sons so they could catch up before seeing the new movies. We watched all six movies with the boys, and I think my impressions of the prequels have only gotten worse with time. Every scene involving Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman just makes me cringe.

2 Likes

Found the sand hater.

4 Likes

A Quiet Place. A good idea let down by some daft execution. Iā€™ll say nothing of the way the film beats you over the head for three scenes about its central premise, including a death and literally spelling it out for you. That aside, why weā€™re following more of John Krasinski than Emily Blunt I dunno, but thereā€™s an absolutely golden ā€˜spot the exact moment character x is fated to dieā€™ bit of dialogue which might as well be telling them to stick a gun in their mouth and end it. Amazing use of audio slightly spoiled by one too many stings, and some truly cringeworthy ā€˜emotionalā€™ moments.

1 Like

Damn, dude, you watch a lot of movies.

Man, I finally watched this, and itā€™s practically indistinguishable from Abramstrek, which Iā€¦am not a fan of.

I got to watch Bombshell tonight:

And all I can say is,

4 Likes

3 Days of the Condor. One of my favourite films, and possibly a contender for first early (modern) geek hero? Robert Redford is a bookish techy researcher for the CIA. His office is hit, his coworkers killed, and he hits the bricks of a wintry New York with only a .45 for company. Cue a taut little escapade as he tries to work out what is going on and why. Faye Dunaway is quite admirable in bringing a considerable amount of character to a rather miserable role, and Max von Sydowā€™s coolly cheerful assassin is unique and beautiful. The film is either eerily prescient or hopelessly paranoid, with a layer of amorality personified by von Sydow, but reinforced by Cliff Robertsonā€™s Higgins, angry at the naivete on show. Sharp dialogue, unwavering directing.

1 Like

https://www.tor.com/2018/05/15/vanity-patriarchy-and-futility-death-becomes-her/

Deadpool 2. Still funny. Doubled the budget but it doesnā€™t really show, still an abundance of cheap CGI. At least they didnā€™t hack money out of it, but the climax is weak again, and the bigger cast doesnā€™t lend itself to tight comic timing. Perhaps there are so many jokes some of them have to miss, but there seemed to be a lot more misfires this time. A little less of the standard superhero storyline would make it much better.

Tragedy Girls. As a fan of Scream Queens, I was obliged to watch this, and am mostly glad I did. A hip, modern take on horror that is bound to resound with the kids, being more about popularity on Twitter than stabbing people with butcher knives. Funny enough to keep me interested, but itā€™s no Cabin in the Woods or Detention.

The new blade runner. I know Iā€™m late to the party, and probably will be for a while. The stand out moment for me was the love interest, not in a creepy end of our species kind of way, but in a star crossed lovers kind of way, Harrison made a suitably dramatic entrance, had the mrs not already fallen asleep that probably would have been a highlight too. I also appreciated the major twist that was presented in a minor way, that our protagonist thought he was the special one, but then they all thought they were special. Much like real life I guess.

2 Likes

I really liked Joi and thought the love story was great. It really helped add to the questions about what life/sentience are.

1 Like

Picked up Kong: Skull Island. Still good. Magnificent use of music and cinematography even if the rest of the film is just average.

1 Like

The Man with the Iron Heart. If youā€™ve read Laurent Binetā€™s book, HHhH, this is an attempt to film the more straightforward bits, mostly amounting to The Military Career and Death of Reinhard Heydrich. After chairing the Wannsee Conference and generally being a huge piece of shit, Heydrich ended up in charge of a portion of stolen Czechoslovakia, and the Czechoslovakian government in exile, with the aid of the British SOE, had him killed. The film pulls no punches, and shows the torture and mass murders that followed Heydrichā€™s death, the Nazis not exactly being all smiles and sunshine. While the church shootout may not be as Hollywood as Anthropoidā€™s, the film as a whole is much better, even though itā€™s a shame itā€™s not really a detailed film about Heydrich alone, nor is it a real attempt to adapt HHhH, which in fairness would be very difficult and likely not commercially viable. Some excellent, surprising cast choices, including Stephen Graham as Himmler and Mia Wasikowska in quite a small part.

Heydrich also had a death camp posthumously named after him. What a cunt.

Iā€™ve seen Get Out several times, including watching it with Peeleā€™s commentary, and only now do I realise the comedic Racist Dad is in fact Bradley Whitford who had such a marvellous comedic turn in Cabin in the Woods:

I finally recognised him purely via his voice. I blame the beard in Get Out.

1 Like

My wife and I just rented Game Night. Iā€™ll admit right off the bad that we had a bottle of sweet moscato which may have influenced my reaction to the movie, but we laughed quite a lot. The movie is absurd but it is fun and funny and the interplay between he couples is great. There were some genuine moments where I almost spit my drink. Not highbrow stuff, here, but good. The games were the low point, though, as we saw the likes of charades and Jenga but not even a quintessential gateway game like Catan.

1 Like

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is as forgettable as youā€™d think. Probably the worst movie in the franchise.

1 Like