Film; or The Silver Screen

Marjorie Prime (available on Amazon Prime). An amazing look at the nature of aging and how memory works. Jon Hamm does a great job with the physical side of his role.

Watched Speed Racer because Iā€™d heard low key rumblings that it was Good, Actually. One of the better movies based on a kidsā€™ cartoon Iā€™ve seen, certainly. I donā€™t really remember the marketing, but Iā€™m surprised it bombed so hard. Pretty sure if Iā€™d been a kid at the time I would have gone apeshit over it. I wonder what itā€™s like to be a relative nobody like Emile Hirsch, get a break as lead in a big budget picture only to have it bomb and go back to being a relative nobody. I thought the movie was almost universally well acted. Paul Litowsky (or, um, ā€œPaulie Littā€ as he is apparently professionally known these days) was one of the most enjoyable child actors Iā€™ve seen, which is admittedly not a high bar.

From the director of Moon.

Also contains the correct ratio of Skarsgards to non-Skarsgards.

1 Like

I quite liked Moon but I donā€™t think I convinced any of my friends to see it. The fact that it was taken off Netflix a few years ago doesnā€™t help.

The Disaster Artist. This is almost pure cringe. Iā€™m not sure I can make it through the whole thing, I keep pausing it and coming back to it. I think Iā€™m going to OD.

2 Likes

Did you see ā€œThe Room?ā€

I havenā€™t, but the Honest Trailer for it is rather funny.

1 Like

Went and saw The Square last night.

Found it entirely too long, dull, and uninteresting. Some funny parts, but not worth sitting through the rest of it. Each and every scene was too long with lingering shots where nothing ever happens. Thereā€™s no payoff for anything. Even the best scene of the film (a black tie dinner affair that goes horribly wrong) goes on for way, way too long and the resolution is meh, with the scene not playing into the plot in any way other than to show the main character is a dolt.

Iā€™ve read that itā€™s a scathing takedown of the art scene, which Iā€™m not a part of, so maybe it was over my head.

1 Like

Hahaha, I loved The Disaster Artist. The Room itself was hard going until I was a few drinks in.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen The Room, yep. Itā€™s worth it for the experience.

The Disaster Artist was quite good. I think the advantage of making it is you can just tell the story with a straight face and the events speak for themselves. James Franco canā€™t help but overact. Despite it being hilarious I couldnā€™t laugh occasionally for embarrassment.

1 Like

Itā€™s human behavior.

Next of Kin (1989). Patrick Swayze and Liam Neeson doing their level best to be convincing Kentucky hillbillies caught up in mob violence in inner city Chicago. Started out promising, but turned out to be a pretty mediocre late 80s action flick. Go ahead and miss the weird supporting cast, with Adam Baldwin, Helen Hunt andā€¦Ben Stiller?!

1 Like

Snatched, with Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn. Watched at my wifeā€™s behest (disclaimer: she really is a lovely, intelligent, classy human being).

Awful. I have nothing good to say about this one. I will never ever ever retrieve this time back in my life. Predictable, juvenile, and not funny in any sense of the word. Learn from my mistake, ladies and gentlemen. Do not let this atrocity scar your brain.

3 Likes

That same year though was Roadhouseā€¦which I contend is one of the best bad movies of all time and probably my favorite Swayze.

1 Like

The current state of comedy, with a few exceptions, is rather abysmal, and people like Amy Schumer exmplefy my issues. In the ā€œgood old daysā€ comedy didnā€™t have to be juvenile and raunchy to be funny and the juvenile and raunchy comedies were smart; the lowest common demomenator comedy of today is so off putting.

1 Like

Yeah, the difference in campy enjoyability between the two movies is pretty stark.

I blame Will Ferrell and Molly Shannon for ruining comedy.

1 Like

True. Also Ben Stiller.

1 Like

True storyā€¦the last time I saw a comedy in a movie theater was ā€œThereā€™s Something About Mary.ā€ I actually could not figure out what people were laughing at.

Check out you old fuddy duddies. :wink:

Mayhem. An office building is infected by a virus that conveniently reduces impulse control. Cue title. Samara Weaving has something about her that is charmingly sincere, Steven Yeun juuust manages with a terrible role, and some of their exchanges as they wreak havoc as a duo looking for very violent vengeance are enjoyable. Slightly below par across the board, but fun.

1 Like

Iā€™m hit and miss on Stiller.

Tropic Thunder and Dodgeball are some of my favorite comedies, but other Stiller fare just isnā€™t to my liking.

1 Like