Film; or The Silver Screen

Finally, a protagonist who is a chair.

Looks absolutely gorgeous, has some genuine fun and serious moments, but also has a really unnecessary little twist and a bit of a misfire of an ending. Lovely soundtrack too.

Birth/Rebirth. A very welcome Reanimator update, as a doctor’s experiments with resurrecting the dead come to the attention of a nurse who has just lost her daughter to meningitis. Classic, compelling motivations that look tired, but are given life by the two leads, Marin Ireland and Judy Reyes, who act their fucking socks off. Loved it.

1 Like

Jungle Cruise was not a hit for me or my wife. A low-rent Pirates knockoff with shockingly bad visuals given it came out twenty years later and cost a pretty penny. I like The Rock and Emily Blunt overall. But not here.

1 Like

Playing hooky to go see Dune because the wife won’t “waste” a date night for it….more to follow.

(Three hours later…)

Unsurprisingly, I really enjoyed the movie. It is certainly a spectacle. For a nearly 3 hour movie, I did find some of the pacing a little all over the place and I could have used a little more time spent on some parts of the story. If you know Dune, you know what you are getting in to. This one is a little more dense and a lot more mystical than the first movie. Between Paul dealing with his visions, Jessica constantly communicating with Alia (who remains in in utero this movie), the water of life, and the Bene Geserit machination, there is a lot to take in. The movie also leaves you wanting more story but there are books for that. I need to digest this one a little more but it was certainly a positive experience.

Further thoughts: Standout performance from Austin Butler and Javier Bardem. Butler’s Feyd was suitably creepy and psychotic and he brought a good physicality to the role. He has a very snake-like movement about him. Bardem stole the show as fanatic Stilgar, though.

Also, for the book fans, Gurney’s baliset makes a brief appearance.

7 Likes

Monolith. A big swing, and a miss. Bold attempt at a single-person horror film, atmospheric, creepy, conversations only, some good acting. All good so far. The story developments then whip a big turd into view and the rest of the film is dismissable. A real shame.

Sitting in a hotel room and Netflix let me know that John Wick would soon be leaving Netflix. Since it just got there, I am guessing it was just like a 6 month stint on the platform.

I don’t think I have seen the original since it came out, so decided to watch it tonight and damn I forgot how good it is. I also forgot how slow the beginning is, and while I don’t remember what I thought the first time I saw it, knowing the character of “John Wick” the first 40 minutes are probably a lot better than the slow burn they were surprising us with.

5 Likes

The Hills Have Four Eyes. What am I doing watching this shit.

Poor Things. It’s a Lanthimos film, so you really cannot be surprised at the skewed delights on offer, this time including many fisheye lens shots, but also using an almost Wes Anderson-like passion for sets, and the wonderful stylised dialogue he is known for. As an echo of Frankenstein it is particularly good, involving somewhat more character development, and as an adaptation it is excellent, preserving the vast majority of the work. It is bizarre and brilliant and watching it made my day; Dafoe, Stone, and Ruffalo are all solid gold, but every actor has a certain poise here by the nature of the production.

Rebel Moon Part 2 - Just as confused as Part 1…but with more farming.

1 Like

I thought Part 1 was so terrible that I doubt I’ll ever watch Part 2.

4 Likes

But then you won’t know what happened when you watch part 3? :laughing:

1 Like

Zack Snyder has never, ever made a great movie. Only a couple of them even rise to good or interesting. Him having this rabid fanbase will forever be a mystery to me. People shape their entire lives around this director for whom the word ‘mid’ might have been invented.

5 Likes

Late Night with the Devil. A bit of a curio, this. A hasty, rushed introduction and then a pace that, because of its setting, seems quite slow. Absolutely no suspense at all, as it’s obvious where it’s going, though I think the ending gets a point just for defaulting to the most likely result and never even hinting it might deviate. A very mixed bag.

Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. I’m still drawn to Guy Ritchie movies hoping for the next best thing since Snatch and we still don’t have it. This one is just a moderately entertaining but very straightforward action movie.

It isn’t often that Henry Cavill looks small next to someone.

5 Likes

The Zone of Interest. It’s probably impossible to make a ‘normal’ film about the Holocaust, and that is perhaps for the best. Set largely in the domestic bliss of Rudolf Höss’ house, situated next to Auschwitz, the film possesses a disconcertingly accurate visual design, and is an exacting depiction of its time and place. Höss, who reached the peak of his career as commandant of Auschwitz, is depicted superbly by Christian Friedel, and the whole film is forensically, perhaps even painfully, detailed.

Glazer’s choice to stick closer to the historical record, rather than the book’s fancy, is a good one, and barring one particularly stupid moment, the film is exceptional. The direction and composition are incredible. The sound design, and unbelievable juxtaposition of a home literally the other side of a wall to a concentration camp, is beyond something I could imagine.

Some people say that the Nazis’ evil has become mythologised, and that you need to understand their personal lives in order to empathise or sympathise with them. Personally, I find their personal lives indict them even more than simply caricaturing them all as totally and irredeemably evil.

The Bad Guys. A fairly standard story, elevated by some solid animation and voice work.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what drives you to watch these kind of animated movies? As a dad of young kids I’ve had my fill. They all tend to bore me at this point. Even the higher quality ones.

We saw Bad Guys in the theater and it was ok, I guess. I don’t remember much other than a deranged guinea pig and that the fox girl had a pierced eyebrow.

Usually my godkids! I come across the occasional gem (Sing was pretty good, The Incredibles is great), some of them are just okay (Wish), some are crap (hello Soul, you piece of shit).

3 Likes

Okay still seems generous for Wish. Just watched that a couple weeks ago and was definitely underwhelmed. I can’t say as I love how high a percentage of my viewing is this stuff now, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t really enjoy some of them. Bad Guys I thought was great; I loved the animation style, and Sam Rockwell always gives an A+ performance. I do miss classic Pixar when they had that incredible decades-long run of quality movies. They merged with Disney, and brought Disney’s animated movie quality up while their own went down.

4 Likes

Abigail. I went in to this blind and was delighted to find a fun horror-comedy waiting for me, as a bunch of kidnappers bite off more than they can chew. Dan Stevens outweighs his role, Melissa Barrera outweighs hers, Giancarlo Esposito’s role is barely more than a cameo, whereas a lot of the other smaller names get much toothier roles. Well worth a watch, and a lot of fun.

2 Likes

The Beekeeper

The image says it all, this is a Jason Statham movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

The movie makes no sense. Almost nothing is realistic, not even a little bit. There are a lot of bad bee/hive lines that you will groan at.

Like literally, I don’t think anything in this movie is even remotely plausible.

The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just, by accident, watched a trailer for Horizon, An American Saga. I am a bit ashamed to admit that I feel drawn to this kind of Cinema… Just triggers the right buttons in a subconscious memory.

Westerns are great. I haven’t watched the trailer but I’m not ashamed to say I like that kind of movie. The last Western I remember Costner is was Open Range and that one is great.