Fantasy Flight announces digital version of Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

There is a lot of cynicism floating around out there about this game, mainly over at BGG. I know there is not a lot to go on, but quite a few people seem to see this game as more a Hearthstone clone than faithful recreation of the tabletop game. This concern does mirror my fears about Fantasy Flight’s new digital division - that they will be giving us bastardized versions of the games we want, altered for the digital economy. Time will tell, and I still eagerly anticipate this game, but I can’t deny that there are some lingering questions about it.

1. It’s BGG, so cynicism is naturally abundant.

2. Hearthstone is PvP. The announcement stated clearly this version will remain co-operative. So I’m not sure how valid that comparison is.

3. The original game itself is basically a deck building game with a ton of DLCs in the form of Adventure Packs. As long as they make the costs not unreasonable, and don’t get too greedy with the IAPs, I will give it a chance.

4. I, for one, found the physical version to be fiddly. After two plays the week I got it, I haven’t touched it since. I would totally play a streamlined version of the game.

5. Reading the announcement, it sounds like they’ve adopted some concepts from Star Wars Destiny (spheres= colors, and using resources to put cards into play)

6. I would be impressed if they set the AI to actually have the style of Sauron, as opposed to just being a generic AI.

Yes, those who are expecting an exact port will likely be disappointed. Otherwise, we shall see. Cautiously optimistic.

1 Like

I feel that the fact they went for rounded portraits cards is the main reason people went nuts with the Heartsone thing (without even reading what it is).
Streamlined or not that’s the only thing that can accomunate the two games.

The other thing it’s that it’s not a 1:1 port, but for the that I’ll reserve to judge when I’ll be able to play it.
After all, both Elder Signs and Battlelore are streamlined versions of their board game counterparts, and I loved both (Elder Signs being one of the best digital games I ever played).

I have high hopes about this (which unfortunately leads generally to disappointment)…please be good, please be good, please be good.

And for the love of God, make multiplayer ASYNC!!!
But I’m not confident, seeing it will be tested on PC first and both Asmodee and FFG having zero consideration for async.

1 Like

This could work really well - there is no AI to code. It is a co-op where the app can enforce the rules and do all the fiddly bits that are so easy to overlook when playing the game. In that sense it is similar to Pathfinder, which manages to enforce fiddly rules pretty well. Each DLC pack messes with the rules somewhat so it is difficult to see how LOTR LCG can be sustainable long term, but Pathfinder is similar and seems to be lurching along unsteadily, but somewhat alive.

It is more than just the look, though. Three are plenty of complaints about the supposed economic model, with “hero packs” available for purchase and consumable boosts available for in-game currency (which can conveniently be bought with real money). On top of that, it was mentioned that there is no defending in the digital version.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to the game, but there are reasons for concern for those who want a recreation of the tabletop experience, even if the game is streamlined for mobile; they can go too far with the “streamlining” and I personally hope that they don’t.

Pretty sure they will sell the packs as they do with the retail version. There will be fixed packs as iaps.
Not too different from the digital Pathfinder model I guess.

I think they will have the base pack and maybe Mirkwood for free, then you’ll have to buy.

I’ll wait and see for the defending thing (the clash is instant and goes both ways).

As the favor cards…I don’t know what they are supposed to do in a non competitive game.
Paid cheat?

Yup, it’s the favor cards that strike me as dodgy.

Streamlining for the digital space doesn’t bother me too much. Just about every boardgame app out there had to take one or more shortcuts. Even Ascension and RftG technically use minor shortcuts so as to keep multiplayer flowing.

Did someone managed to watch the live stream (now just ended) ?
Tons of infos but I was at work so couldn’t see it very well, and for some reason they aren’t going to archive this one.

I was going to, but ended up having to clean vomit out of carpeting for the third time today. Having a wonderful day with the kids!!

Those $1.99 painters’ drop cloths from Home Depot are the greatest things ever when the kids are sick. I have them everywhere!

Now you tell me…

I missed it too, but there was at least this clip on the site. 30 seconds of gameplay. :slight_smile:

Great find!!!

Woah.
I’m watching the stream as I write this.

JUST WOAH, my jaw dropped.

It’s WAAAAAAAAAAY better than I expected and looks so incredibly fun and deep!!!

It’s really a marvel to look at…tons of effects and voiceovers everywhere.

Woah.

1 Like

Does it look like it plays somewhat like the tabletop game or is it an entirely new thing?

It’s been a while but it seems to me they kept the feeling intact.
I highly suggest to watch the whole 1 hour stream, they play 2 full quests.

Technically it’s WAY better than I expected…actually it’s top notch.

They changed things but the whole concept and card game Corey vision seems intact to me (but it has been a while so maybe other can chime in).
It sure looks hard as nails and super deep.

1 Like

Ffg is online now.
Looks GLORIOUS.

EDIT: I asked and they are considering async for coop play (may or may not change, but good to know).

The game looks and plays fantastic already imho.

1 Like

Looking forward to Lord of the Rings LCG. Watched some old streams on twitch. They plan to launch into early access q1, most likely March. Early access wont last for ages. They dont want the game to live and die in EA. So ea is gonna last a month of 6 probably and they want decent version to start with so people keep playing.
At the start there will be 4 hero packs:
Rangers of Gondor: Faramir (Lore)
Faithful Servant: Sam Gamgee (Leadership)
Shieldmaiden of Rohan: Eowyn (Spirit)
Prince of Mirkwood: Legolas (Tactics)

With another 12 hero packs to be released while in early access.

They plan to add content like these hero packs and new adventures on a regular base.

They get complains about the needed internet connection but they state it is needed when the game becomes cross-platform. (One account to rule them all and in the darkness bind them :wink: )
and the connection is also needed when buying hero packs /valor cards to prevent duplicates beyond the max allowed in a deck and new adventures. (Valor is an in game currency you get by playing.)

Leaderboards, co-op etc wil be implemented at a later point.

2 Likes