Channel your inner wgah'nagl with Cultist Simulator, now on mobile

Very happy with my purchase so far. Seems like a lot of variety in my runs so far, and I just ran down my ipad’s battery for the first time in a long while.

5 Likes

Yesterday night (or was it this early morning, can’t say) I had a HUGE, I mean HUGE WTF/REVELATION moment.

It was like I just played the tutorial before…you will see it when you’ll reach it as well, without any doubt.

Awesome game.

I also discovered the game has some kind of persistency…HOW exactly you die in the previous run opens up new choices for your character who starting immediately another run.

I was a reporter, a detective, a physician, a humanist…

What a game, weird I never heard about it before.

Does anyone know how to create health if you start without any?

2 Likes

IIRC the run where you don’t start with any health, you’re not meant to have any.

You can create health by studying with 2 vitality, but I believe you only get vitality from using Health in another action.

Oh.

OH!

Yeah that’s exactly what I meant…certain starting professions have no health AT ALL…and I die by illness.
Incidentally it was BY FAR my best run…my eyes where like O_O all the time after ‘the thing’.

Not sure how to survive but I guess there are other methods to prevent illness?

Not sure about preventing it, but you can treat illness by dreaming of the illness (resting) and throwing some money at it (for medicine).

3 Likes

Dread has been my nemesis. Can never time the counter right.

1 Like

I’m on the fence about how I feel about this one, but I don’t think I can stop until I’ve unpicked all the mechanics. I might be here a while.

1 Like

I’m doing my best to not watch a video, but really enjoying the stumble so far. Discovering the pause button made things far easier, at least.

6 Likes

I don’t know how to do anything.

6 Likes

Congratulations, I think that makes you a Cultist Simulator expert.

5 Likes

This thing sounds completely mental.

5 Likes

It just explains nothing. Confusion through obfuscation.

There are a couple of vids on YouTube that explain the mechanics without spoiling anything.

1 Like

[This might be considered a victory]

Well played game. I’m not even mad.

4 Likes

So hard and complex. I used to play on the plane, but was a week between games and I lost continuity

1 Like

Cultist simulator (despite the lame name) is one of the best and most original games I played in recent years.
It really clicked with me.
Besides Elder Sign Omens (a completely different game) it’s also the best Lovecraftian game I ever played.

Everything in the game, from the cards, to the sounds, to the music, to the vagueness of the initial playthroughs set perfectly the mood of a early 900 foggy London or Boston.

Yesterday I almost won (or so I think, I was SO CLOSE), the play through lasted 30-40 mins.
I started razor focused on some key elements I knew from previous playthroughs would get me on ‘something’ while building up stats and getting all sort of items meanwhile.
Felt like an RPG. Almost no verb was left alone, timers always active (you lately discover, or so I think…never won mind you, it’s way easier to build up in early stages than in late ones).

To people interested in the game, don’t get discouraged by the ‘game tells you nothing’ comments.
It’s only partially true.

After 3-4 deaths (a matter of 1-2 hours, maybe less) the mechanics are pretty evident and the game DOES explain things in the descriptions and in the card icons.
Yes…it doesn’t tell you precisely: You need this to do that etc… but that’s part of the game.
I’m the ‘You find a magical sword that seems to do something’ more than ‘You find a +4 magical sword that gives +8 only against goblins at full moon’ type of gamer, so YMMV.
In the early phases there isn’t instant death so the game lets you experiment a bit, and find what does what.I don’t have great memory but if I managed to understand how to build up health, passion, reason, or complete rites…everyone can do it.
After the initial phase, and after some events happen, the narrative really takes the stage, and it’s pretty glorious.

Some advices from a total newbie (I didn’t even know about the game existence till 10 days ago):

1. USE PAUSE. I can’t believe people don’t do this. It’s the first button I pressed to read all the cards. I always play on pause, ALWAYS.
  2. When you open a verb and click on the empty card…ALL POSSIBILE USEFUL CARDS IN YOUR HAND HAVE A SPARKLING GRAPHICAL EFFECT. This saves you a lot of time trying. Some cards (later on) sparks but you can’t ‘start’ the verb…I think because I already used them to their fullest or I miss some key lore.
  3. READ THE CARDS, especially the new ones you produce after a bit of experimenting. Generally when you put them on verbs (before pressing start) they describe what they will do, and which items you’ll eventually need to fully exploit them (warning, if you miss the required items, the verb could be stuck for a while so you will loose time).
  4. Follow your character inclinations. Persist in exploring your char peculiar characteristics…if you are ‘living’ as painter…go on in that. If you live as an accountant, go on. The game offers tons of possibilities, always, but I found that developing a jack of all trades ins’t always a plus (or maybe it’s just why I never won yet)…keeping focused on just one lore, just one cult, just one type of behavior pays off…or at the very least lets you advance quicker to later parts of the game…getting you intrigued even more. The first time I got in the…how to say…the second part of the game it was by chance and after maybe an hour. I can now reach that part in less than 20 minutes.
    The better you get at the game, the faster you reach pivotal points (a great compliment for a game like this, too many nice games/roguelikes became too boring having you repeating initial parts over and over).

Just my two cents…back dying.

5 Likes

If you’re feeling like you’re stuck on a hamster wheel, you need to experiment. Looking stuff up undermines the design.

2 Likes

I ran into the same issues playing on PC. I’ve found the mobile version helps me maintain continuity because I play more often. The UI isn’t ideal on a phone, but it’s definitely usable. I just pause more often than I might otherwise to look at a bunch of different cards before making a move.

1 Like

Ok I’m intrigued. Downloading!

3 Likes

Just scored my very first (minor) victory.

I feel like a little Cthulhu.

What a game.

1 Like

I had a technically super successful start with loads of money, health, books, lore, skills, and yet terrible luck actually starting a cult. Absolutely swimming in resources and yet barely able to get off the ground.

1 Like